Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahundredhighways Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Formatting hard drive
    How do I format my hard drive, I'm trying to remove spyware and that's what someone had suggested, please help me!
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

Jan 23, 2007, 07:18 AM
    What kind of computer do you have (mac, PC, something else) and what operating system is it running (Windows XP Home, Windows Vista, etc)?

-TS
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2007, 07:20 AM
    As noted we need more info about your PC.

But a reformat is a last resort. Have you tried getting AdAware or Spybot (freeware spyware removers). What steps have you taken to clean out your PC?

Jan 23, 2007, 02:11 PM
    I've removed most of the spyware and installed a firewall, anti spyware software, and an anitvirus program, but I'm still having some problems, when I try to sign onto the internet, it closes it out
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 23, 2007, 02:33 PM
    When was the last time you did some serious system maintenance, as it sounds like you have been over looking it.

System maintenance includes:
    Defrag
    FULL patching
    Virus scanning
    Spyware scanning
    Removal of rubish files

Defrag is an inbuilt function in XP.
    Open My Computer > Right click C: > Tools Tab and it's there.

To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note; actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.
    So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.
    Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly what you neeed.

Jan 24, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupport
    What kind of computer do you have (mac, PC, something else) and what operating system is it running (Windows XP Home, Windows Vista, etc)?

-TS
    I've got a PC running ME

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    As noted we need more info about your PC.

But a reformat is a last resort. have you tried getting AdAware or Spybot (freeware spyware removers). What steps have you taken to clean out your PC?

I've removed most of the spyware and installed a firewall, anti spyware software, and an anitvirus program, but I'm still having some problems, when I try to sign onto the internet, it closes it out

I've done the defrag, virus scan, removed most of the spyware, and a cheep firewall form the internet, but I had some guy build my computer and the software that is in it is pirated, so I'm screwed to try patches or Microsoft programs
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2007, 06:42 AM
    My advice would be to get a copy of Windows XP, Backup all your data files to CD or somewhere then do a fresh install of XP. Win ME is the worst version of Windows Microsoft ever released.

Also, before you do that, go to belarc.com and run their Advisor. This will give you a comprehensive list of all the hardware and software on your PC. You can then make sure you have all your drivers and install disks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restoring a Flash Drive (instead of re-formatting it) [ 26 Answers ]

I have a flash drive with a number of items on it that I need. When I go to access the drive, which I have used for the past couple of months, I now get an error message saying that the drive is not formatted and needs to be formatted. I know that if I re-format it, I'll lose all my work on...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Formatting the Hard disk [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a harddisk of 80GB pre installed with Win98 SE. The hard disk is not partitioned and the entire disk is being used as a whole. I would like to create the partitions for the harddisk of 8GB each. But I heard that the standard FDisk option would not be suitable to format...

Formatting/partitioning an external drive [ 1 Answers ]

Having troubles w/formatting my external LaCie drive. Drive is empty - I just want to split it in 3 or 4 partitions. Disc utility is quitting on me. I'm running OSX. What else can I use to format my drive? :confused: 24 hours and not even 1 reply!! :mad: What kind of forum is that?

View more questions Search