Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Seamus-Z-Mum Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Basset Hound Boy... Barking Badly!
    Our family purchased a Basset Hound Puppy two months ago. His name is Seamus and he is a handful! We have a 16 month old son too... so my days stay busy. Just recently Seamus started this crazy barking around 6:30 that lasts FOREVER. He's been fed, watered, played with... and then I just give up. I put him in his crate(which he used to not mind so much) and he starts howling non-stop. My husband and I are going nuts. After he barks for so long we feel so frustrated that we don't know how to discipline him appropriately. Keep in mind... this is also the time that our son goes down to bed.

We are at our wits end. My husband says that if this keeps up we might have to consider finding him a new home... but I can't bear the thought of losing Seamus! :( Help!!
    thedogghater Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Try putting him in his crate and putting a blankit over it so he can't see anything,if that don't work try a barking coller on him.we train dogs of all breeds,that breed is bad about barking and howling.the mother bites them on the ear to stop them from biteing, barking,or miss behaveing.
    Seamus-Z-Mum Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Thank you for the reply. We have a big blanket over his crate and that used to seem very helpful with him. But as he's gotten a bit older... he just won't stop for anything. I'm thinking we might get a bark collar. And maybe enrolled in puppy training? I'm hoping that that isn't a Must! Because we work with him a lot anyway.

Thanks for the input.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 04:39 AM
    The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position Here are some gentle exercises good with younger dogs:

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.

Taking him to a class is only a must if you want him to stay on task around other dogs. You can easily teach him obedience and claim your spot as top dog working out of a book. For a list of good books see https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251804

Once firmly established as top dog, you can give him a quiet ''enough'', distract him with a treat, and let him have it after he quiets down. Never yell at a barking dog. Barking is a social thing, all the more fun if more join in. Don't use the crate as a punishment for barking. As you can see, it isn't working, and is causing him to reject it. When you do put him in the crate, try laying down in front of it like you were going to sleep there. Usually the puppy will settle down and go to sleep in a few minutes. I have been highly successful doing that with puppies their first few nights in the home. Be careful with blanket. Some dogs would pull it into the crate, shred it, and choke on the pieces.

Please don't resort to a bark collar. You may never stop a hound from barking completely, but applying modern training methods will reduce it to acceptable.
    awgie doggie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 08:56 AM
    I have found that if you get a water bottle and put just a drop of lemon juice in it. Then when he barks squirt her/him. Try not to get it in the eyes. I have found that this helps a lot. You also need to walk the dog every day. The only reason I say this is because I have six bassets and I have found that is how it worked for me. It was also recommended by a basset breeder.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2009, 09:07 AM

Hi awgie doggie, please check the dates on posts, this one is over 2 years old.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by awgie doggie View Post
    I have found that if you get a water bottle and put just a drop of lemon juice in it. Then when he barks squirt her/him. Try not to get it in the eyes. I have found that this helps alot. You also need to walk the dog every day. The only reason I say this is because I have six bassets and I have found that is how it worked for me. It was also recommended by a basset breeder.
    This thread is from 2007, please do not reopen old threads.

It's great to look at old threads for advice to help with your situtation, that's why they're left up, but posting on them bumps them to the top and the OP of this thread hasn't been back since 2007, so there's no point posting advice.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I badly need help with my son [ 56 Answers ]

Well I've tried using the advice some people gave me to help me deal with my son. But he's like talking to a wall. I tried taking away his things from him when he did something bad but it all backfired and now he won't talk to me and spends most of his time in his in his room with his music...

Basset Hound Puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello - I have a 4 month old Basset Hound puppy who barks like crazy when you leave the room and don't pay attention to her. She has 3 other dogs in the house, and when you leave her for a second she barks whether she is in her crate or in a room alone. The bark is louder than all other 3 dogs...

Bassett Hound Puppy... How much do I feed her [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old Basset Hound puppy who weighs 20 lbs. I was wondering how much I should be feeding her. I currently feed her 2x a day because I work during the day. Also housebreaking is not going well because she is alone for a long period. My other 5 month old puppy can hold it all day....

I need help badly [ 3 Answers ]

I have very dark spots on both cheeks. I have tried Neutrogena Chemical Peel along with Neutrogena Skin Block. This has not helped. Could you please suggest what skin whitener I could use to get rid of these spots?:eek:

Need advice badly [ 10 Answers ]

I'm totally in love with my boyfriend, we haven't been dating long but I snooped into his email account yesterday and I found out that he was bisexual. I don't know how to ask him about this I want to truth though. Now he's back in England too and I'm suppose to meet up with him next month. He...

View more questions Search