Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pop000 Posts: 352, Reputation: 6

Mar 22, 2011, 08:11 AM
    Electrons representation formulas
    I need to find the correct representation formulas from 4 different options.
    So I mark in red Circle what I sure is incorrect and in blue Circle what I think is correct for the 2 others options I need help :) (I think option 3 is also incorrect.)

Thanks.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Mar 22, 2011, 10:00 AM

Pop, I don't see any pictures. You might want to try again.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2011, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pop000 View Post
    i need to find the correct representation formulas from 4 different options.
    so i mark in red Circle what i sure is incorrect and in blue Circle what i think is correct for the 2 others options i need help :) (i think option 3 is also incorrect.)

thanks.
    Now, that's better :)

You're right that 3 is wrong, this is because N has 5 outermost electrons, three are used in the single bonds and there should be 2 left.

As for the 4th, Al has 3 outermost electrons, three of them are in the single bonds, how many are left, and how many are there in the picture? Is that the same? :)

Mar 22, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Well about the 4th I think is also incorrect 3 electrons are in the single bonds and 2 others not take part in the bonds. So to exist the Octet rule Al need to make 5 bonds but here we have only 3 bonds yes?

Thank you.

Mar 22, 2011, 12:02 PM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    Sorry I got a problem :)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2011, 12:24 PM

Hm... I don't quite follow your reasoning...

Al has a total of 3 outermost electrons.

In each single bond, there is one electron involved/used.

Hence, since there are 3 single bonds, electrons are used.

This means that all the 3 outermost electrons of Al are used in bonds, there are none left behind. In 4, you have 2 electrons not in any bonds, this is not true! There should not be any electrons there.

As you can see, Al does not as such have 8 outermost electrons after bonding, this is why it tends to form something else through a process called dimerisation, where you have:

:)

Mar 22, 2011, 12:59 PM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    Oh OK after I read your answer 4 times I got where I did mistake.
    So if we conclude this question, I can say that number 1 (where I mark in blue) is the only true here?

Thank you :)
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Mar 22, 2011, 08:39 PM
    As you said at the start, both structures I and II are correct. II is in the same family as water and has the Lewis structure you show. Often AlF3 is shown as an Al atom with three bonded fluorine atoms; the F atoms all have an octet of electrons but Al has an "open sextet" which is why it is a very strong Lewis acid (if you have gotten to that sort of thing)

Mar 23, 2011, 02:08 AM
    Comment on DrBob1's post
    I mean II is incorrect this why I mark it in red. H has 1 outermost electrons, three are used in the single bonds and there should be no left any other electrons but in the picture is show more 2 electrons this why II is incorrect.
    Only NO I is correct in this picture this what I think :)

Thank you.
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Mar 23, 2011, 06:20 PM
    Comment on DrBob1's post
    I finally noticed the extra pair of electrons on H. Correct, that's wrong/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Create the formulas for the 10 column accounting worksheet using Excel formulas? [ 3 Answers ]

I need help with the formulas for the 10 column accounting worksheet using Excel IF function?

False Representation [ 3 Answers ]

My application for spouse visa has been refused on the grounds of "False Representation". Have there been any cases similar to mine? And How long can my visa be withheld?

Representation in criminal court [ 8 Answers ]

I have a friend who is charged with shoplifting in Arizona. Can I act as her legal representative, even though I am not an attorney?

Calc. Empirical formulas and molecular formulas [ 1 Answers ]

:eek! : a sample is made of 18g of C and 81.5g of H... the molecular mass of the compound is 104g/mole calc. the empirical formula... calc. the molecular formula OK.. so I got the moles, I think.:confused: . C= 18g X 1mole = 1.4987g 1 ...

View more questions Search