Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2011, 05:25 AM
    Propane connection
    I have 2 propane gas tanks hooked up to my cooktop only and use less than 40 gallons/year. My supplier is going to change the setup from two 100# tanks to one so I meet the new minimum usage requirement, even though they'll have to fill the tanks twice a year instead of once. Anyway, a friend suggested I look into connecting those 20# propane tanks (used with gas barbecues) which I could maintain myself. Would they connect the same way? Are any adapters needed? Is there anything else I should know about doing this? (I'm working on price comparisons.)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 22, 2011, 01:13 PM
    The first thing to do is call your local building inspector to ask what code is where you live.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
    Totally different regulators and pressure. I read where you said "use less than 40 gallons per year" and then you said "will have to fill then twice a year" In a 100 Gallon tank, they should need to fill 1X every 2 years. Why not buy a 100 Gallon tank and then you can fill them whenever you like. I have a 250G owned tank, filled 1X per year and I can use anyone and get a cheaper rate since they know I can use anyone.

Mar 22, 2011, 02:59 PM

There may be some confusion between 100# and 100 gallons. I think a 100# cylinder tank like what I have now holds about 24 gallons. The 20# tanks used for BBQ grills hold abut 4.8 gallons.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2011, 03:13 PM

You would have to change out the cook top to do this, for one that would work with the difference in pressure from the tank. If your usage is so low, it may be worth it, if the zoning lets you get away with it. Also they make a slightly larger tank, ( sort of looks round) that should be more than enough,
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2011, 07:39 PM
    Comment on coblas's post
    OK. Understand. You could still buy a 100G and fill it every 3-4 years. Regulator should be the same. Propane never goes bad!

Mar 27, 2011, 12:00 PM

I've learned that my propane supplier only services tanks they own, so if I located one to buy, I'd also need to find someone to fill it. There are limited options in my area, and I'm also wondering about having the tanked checked for safety from time to time. I've learned that the 20# propane tanks can have diminished pressure in cold weather (I'm in upstate New York) and this could affect the functioning of the cooktop in a negative way. Since I figured out that using the 20# tanks would cost more, need frequent refilling, and be unsafe, this was an easy decision after all. The second 100# tank was removed two days ago and I'm all set. Thank you all for your input.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 04:15 PM
    Comment on coblas's post
    Too bad they only service their own tanks. That means you pay more than market. I am in the N. GA mountains and have 3 suppliers who will service me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I am switching Propane Gas suppliers and need the underground propane tank removed [ 2 Answers ]

We built our house in 2000 and siged an agreement with AGWAY to supply us Propane and they agreed to provide us an underground tank for free if we purchase gas from them for (1) year. AGWAY is no longer in business and was bought out by SUBURBANE PROPANE. When we questioned SUBURBANE about our...

What is the difference between pipe glued connection and solvent welded connection [ 2 Answers ]

Like the title. I wondering what's the difference between glued connection and solvent welded connection. If anyone knows, please give a detailed description, and how about hub and socket connections with the above two connections?

Changing USB connection to ethernet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a belkin wireless G router which doesn't work with my ntl broadband it got something to do with changing the USB connetion to ethernet can someone tell me how Please! Thank you

TW and WC on a propane tank [ 1 Answers ]

What do those stand for? I was looking on some of the common sized ones, and the TW was about 18 - 17.5, 18.9, etc. The WC was closer to 48. Most of the places exchanging tanks here only put in 17-18 pounds which is much less than the tank would hold if the WC is the weight charged, or weight...

View more questions Search