Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wandastarfire Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Mar 21, 2011, 09:54 PM
    Pet sitting
    I'am a 11 year old girl looking for job to earn extra money to help my parent I live in burbank,CA
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 09:59 PM

And you're thinking about pet sitting?

Do you know anyone that could get you started so you can get some experience?

The only issue I see with pet sitting is transportation, unless you only sit for people that are within walking distance of your house. Also, you're pretty young, and most people want a pet sitter that's a bit more mature, someone that can rush their pet to the vet if needed, someone that could stay over night in the home if need be.

Have you looked into regular babysitting? How about dog walking, or a paper route?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 10:02 PM

Ask around your neighborhood: does anyone need help with yardwork (pulling weeds, cleaning lawn furniture, planting flowers, raking, clipping suckers off bushes and tree trunks, etc.), indoor or outdoor painting, indoor housework or child care (mom's helper to entertain the kids while mom cooks or bakes)?

Mar 21, 2011, 10:03 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    No one in my niegborhood has pets at all only me :(

Mar 21, 2011, 10:04 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    I could mabey do dog walking
    Pets Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 10:05 PM

no one in my niegborhood has pets at all only me :(
    Then being a pet sitter isn't really feasible.

In order to sit for pets you need to be able to go to the home a few times a day, or even stay there the entire time the owner is gone.

At 11 you can't transport yourself back and forth to the homes you'd sit for. Having someone you can rely on is the most important part of hiring a pet sitter.

What about our other suggestions?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 10:08 PM

I didn't say anything about pets. Here is what I said --

Ask around your neighborhood: does anyone need help with yardwork (pulling weeds, cleaning lawn furniture, planting flowers, raking, clipping suckers off bushes and tree trunks, etc.), indoor or outdoor painting, indoor housework or child care (mom's helper to entertain the kids while mom cooks or bakes)?
    Pets Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 10:09 PM

I could mabey do dog walking
    That's a great idea. But you said no one in your neighborhood has pets. Are there people within walking distance that have dogs?

The first thing to do is to put up flyers showing that you're available to walk dogs. If you get a call make sure mom or dad check out the person before you take the job. You want to stay safe, and sadly there are people out there that prey on young kids.

Do you have a sibling that could come with you when you walk the dogs, or a friend? It's always best to be in pairs when you're doing this, just in case something happens.

Getting started is the hard part, but once you find a few regulars it's all smooth sailing. This way you not only get outdoors, get exercise, but you also get to spend time with animals.

When you're older, if you want to work with animals, you can volunteer at your local shelter. It doesn't pay, but there's plenty to do every day, and the animals are really in need of good volunteers. :)

Mar 21, 2011, 10:13 PM
    Well now I am looking a job for dog walking but I can only do it in the afternoons and mornings and afternoon in Saturday since I have school.
    Pets Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wandastarfire View Post
    well now iam lookin a job for dog walking but i can only do it in the afternoons and mornings and afternoon in saturday since i have school.
    Then make sure to include that in your flyer.

Only post the flyer in your neighborhood, or better yet, bring your flyer to specific homes, places where you know the people, and know they have a dog. Take your mom or dad with you.

Make sure to include when you're available, how much you charge, and what they'll get for that fee.

Mar 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    How many copies and which cities
    Pets Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 10:25 PM

Like I said, I would stick to your own neighborhood, within walking distance of your home. I don't think I'd feel comfortable having you go outside your neighborhood to walk dogs.

Find out how many of the people in your surrounding neighborhood have dogs. Make enough copies of the flyer to hand out to these people. Remember, take mom or dad along, and make sure that your parents meet the people you'll be walking for before you take the job. Find a friend to walk with you, or a sibling.

Safety is key. You're young, so we want to make sure you're safe no matter what job you decide to do. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the best plan to start a pet sitting business [ 3 Answers ]

Getting started and want to do it right.

How do I open a pet sitting business [ 2 Answers ]

I want to start pet sitting in my own home and pet walking. Do I need to get bonded, insured and licenced and if so, how do I go about it. ;) What if anything do I need to do legally to start a small business like this.

Pet Sitting Business [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I are opening a pet sitting, pet walking, doggie day care business. Can anyone suggest a great name for our business. Thank you.

View more questions Search