Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dj0818 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2011, 08:34 PM
    How can I get my father's credit card reports removed from my credit report?
    I was an authorized user on my father's credit cards, after his death the accounts were closed, one was paid off and the other he had death insurance on and it was also closed. They are both now showing up on my credit report is there a way to get them removed?
    aperillo Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Mar 22, 2011, 07:49 AM
    Call your creditor and ask for assistance, you can also try online if your credit card company has a website.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2011, 08:00 AM

Hello d:

In credit terms, an authorized user is tantamount to a joint card holder. So, it's not surprising that they're showing up on your credit report. You say the accounts were closed upon your fathers death, but if the accounts were current, you wouldn't be complaining about them being on YOUR credit report. Now, I don't know WHO was responsible for maintaining the accounts, and I'm not here to judge. I'm just saying that's why they're there...

Nonetheless, you can certainly challenge the entry's. If you know they're there, then you have a copy of your credit report or saw it online. When they mailed you the report, they provided a place for you to dispute any incorrect item on your report... I would DO that, and I would DO it again, if it didn't work the first time.

excon
    Edy020 Posts: 72, Reputation: 14

Apr 11, 2011, 03:41 PM
    If you are an authorized user on a credit card, they will show up on your credit report. You can contact the companies themselves and explain that your Dad has passed, and you are not responsible. However, that being said, they will probably tell you that since you used the credit cards, you are also responsible for the debts.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2011, 03:48 PM

If you want them removed, pay them off. There is a difference between authorized user AND joint "ownership" of a credit card.

Which were you?

If you read the small print on the contract you very well may be responsible for these debts - there could be an exception in the event of the death of the primary cardholder.

What does your contact say?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can judgements be removed from a credit report? [ 5 Answers ]

I couldn't afford two tickets from two years ago, both are in the collections (Alliance One) that the court here uses and I'm paying them shortly. Can or will they be removed once paid? It seems fair that something that has no relation to credit, besides my loose ability to pay something on time...

How can I have an unlawful detainer removed from my credit report? [ 7 Answers ]

I recently applied for an apartment. I was denied because it showed I had 3 unlawful detainers 2 of them were dated while I still residing at the residence and the most recent in January of 2010. I was not served and was not aware of the UL. I need to have these removed from my record and was told...

How do I get a credit report from all three bureaus with no credit card [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get all three creidt reports with out submitting a credit card.

Settled accounts removed from credit report [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I reviewing my credit report, I noticed some discrepancies. Two in particular, related to two settled accounts, which did not reflect that I had paid the charged-off accounts. I tried for months to get a the collection company (Arrow) to correct it, to no avail. I then filed a...

View more questions Search