Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macdoncl Posts: 55, Reputation: 7

Mar 21, 2011, 07:58 PM
    Food conflicts
    I am trying to find a new food for my 7 month old boxer. I've been feeding him Taste of the Wild High Prairie formula for the last 4 months and he's been doing great on it. I took him to the vet today for a checkup (it was his first time at this vet) and they told me that I need to change his food because what I am feeding him is an all stages food not a puppy food. They are saying that he needs higher protein and fat because he's growing to be the size he should be. He's 45 lbs right now and both of his parents are full grown at 90. Anyway, the foods they told me to look at have even less protein and fat than what he's already on and they have a lot more grains and fillers that I don't like. I really don't know what to do. He used to have so many bowel problems until I switched him over and he's doing so well. The vets only objection to the food was that it is an all stages food, does that really make much difference if all the nutritional requirements are there?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2011, 10:06 PM

Leave him on the Taste of the Wild. All stages means just that... all stages, it is suitable for pups, adults and seniors.

Boxers are a medium sized dog, the easiest size to grow, they don't have any really specific dietary needs so an all stages food suits them just fine.
    It is only really large to giant breeds the require careful monitoring of diet while growing.

To be honest, I have never listened to a vet about food, they are taught the basics at school but give me a breeders advice on some things over a vets any day.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Apr 19, 2011, 06:02 PM
    Labels on dog, or any pet food, for that matter, are not as informative as we apparently thing. Oh, it gives the level of fats, "not less than", and protein, (an old leather boot would be a good source of protein, if it were even a little bit digestible) CHO, or carbohydrates... everything not a fat or protein. Of more value than the 'guaranteed analysis' may be the 'ingredients' section where, listed in the order of decreasing amounts, it lists what is in the food. This still doesn't indicate whether this food would be any different than one with the same ingredients, or guaranteed analysis.

The real test for a food, but very difficult to fully run, is the feed trial. The results of a steady diet of a food is "proof of the pudding", so to speak. This doesn't mean 2 bags full, it means a lifetime of eating it, to demonstrate growth, performance in work, reproduction, and all other areas a dog is expected to perform in, such as shows, or field trials, or just lying around the house. But, not many companies will give us that sort of information, and if they did, which of the skeptics among us would believe them? Example, Purina Feeds used to make it a point of mentioning their kennels, which were nationally recognized as having top notch hunting dogs (Eng Setters, I think, probably others too.) But nowadays, all the previously premium feed manufacturers are supposed to be putting out garbage, if it isn't 'all natural', whatever that means.

Well, to wind up this tirade, as long as your dog is thrifty, and is growing and developing as you like, stay with your current food. Hopping from food to food will not give you any idea of what is good, or not.

One last thing, those analysis lists can be maintained by changing various ingredients... depending which is more economical on the raw material markets. Those subtle changes in ingredients to maintain the bottom line, may not look like much, but put yourself in your pet's shoes... what has it changed the taste? Those changes are possibly at the root of why Bowser doesn't like his food any more. Years ago, before Science Diet began becoming available everywhere besides the Vet's, they used to pride themselves on maintaining the same ingredient recipe, regardless of changing market prices. That was when Science Diet got it's reputation, which I think it is coasting on presently. Prescription Diets is a different matter, and not in the same discussion as this. But that is just one person's opinion.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2011, 07:46 PM

I was told by a feed store employee (lol) that feeding all stages isn't good for puppies.. However, I have never had any issues feeding an all stage diet. My puppies stay nice and plump, and grow by leaps and bounds!

I think it comes down to what you feel comfortable with. If you think you're dog is doing great on that food, keep him on it. Its hard to go wrong with a high quality food...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Conflicts in the organisation [ 1 Answers ]

Name one major conflict employee may have in the organisation

Conflicts in the organisation [ 1 Answers ]

Name one conflict an employee may have in the organisation

Ethical conflicts [ 1 Answers ]

Ethical conflicts

Marketing conflicts [ 1 Answers ]

What are the conflicts that can arise between Manufacturing,Design department and Marketing department when it comes to new product development? Reason for conflicts Way to resolve it

View more questions Search