Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnewallo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2011, 12:29 PM
    What career can I get with a felony
    I have a drug charge, I got convicted dec 2010, I'm in school right now but there's a lot of people telling me that I'm waisting going to school for social worker.. I was going to school before I got convicted but now I'm confused. I don't want to waste my time going to school for nothing. What career can I pick...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2011, 01:39 PM

You "probably" can't get a job which requires licensing. That includes Nurses, Social Workers.

I can't pick a career for you without knowing your education and interests.
    AJ1962 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Mar 22, 2011, 01:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jnewallo View Post
    i have a drug charge, i got convicted dec 2010, im in school right now but there's alot of people telling me that im waisting going to school for social worker.. i was going to school before i got convicted but now im confused. I dont want to waste my time going to school for nothing. What career can i pick....
    The possibilities are endless, but there will be issues with licenses, and explaining this to potential employers. Drug charges undermine credibility, so this is where your obsticle is. Also someone mentioned professional licensing. Most employers do a 5 year felony check, but this check varies significantly from state to state.

Going to school will help you in the fist place by distancing you from drugs. What I want you to remember is that any charge never limits how successful or rich you can be, as long as you put it behind you.
    AJ1962 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Mar 22, 2011, 01:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jnewallo View Post
    i have a drug charge, i got convicted dec 2010, im in school right now but there's alot of people telling me that im waisting going to school for social worker.. i was going to school before i got convicted but now im confused. I dont want to waste my time going to school for nothing. What career can i pick....
    The possibilities are endless, but there will be issues with licenses, and explaining this to potential employers. Drug charges undermine credibility, so this is where your obsticle is. Also someone mentioned professional licensing. Most employers do a 5 year felony check, but this check varies significantly from state to state.

Going to school will help you in the fist place by distancing you from drugs. What I want you to remember is that any charge never limits how successful or rich you can be, as long as you put it behind you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2011, 04:45 AM

Where are you where employers only do a 5-year background check?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2011, 05:55 AM

Hello j:

The term "social work" is very generic... I'm sure it involves licensing depending on what the specifics of the social work is, and what state you're practicing in. However, in my view, there's still PLENTY of work available for social workers that DOESN'T involve licensing.

And, even if it does, most licensing boards will give you an opportunity to show why you SHOULD be granted a license in spite of your conviction.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are there any career options for a 25 year old with a felony? [ 5 Answers ]

I am 25 years old and recently was convicted with a felony charge of cocaine , I was very stupid one night and hope it doesn't destroy my life. I wish to further my education by taking college courses so that I can be a positive person in my children's life. I was wondering if there are any...

Career opputunities with a felony record [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know what choices I have with a felony record

What career choices do I have with having a felony? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know some career choices that I have with having a felony?

I have an felony on my record will that hurt mt career [ 16 Answers ]

I have an felonly on my record will that hurt my career in the future.

View more questions Search