Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ria_84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 05:01 PM
    What are the guides to planning the build of an office
    I was curious as to if I'm designing an office space are there any rules that should be majorly considered. Or is it just the usual lighting, fire safety, layout, etc. Anything like building regulations type of rules
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Do you own the building that you are planning this renovation in? If not, you need to speak with the building owner first. If so, you need to check with your town's planning board to see what, if any, codes are in place. Most municipalities use the International Building Codes Guidebook. They will require you to submit your drawings for approval. If you are not familiar with this kind of process or work, your best bet would be to ask a friend or neighbor if they can recommend a good designer/architect and pay for their expertise. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Good luck to you.
    dhatura Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 10:14 PM

If you are building in a new or are renovating, you need to think about egress. Federal laws require "new" building to meet all handicap and fire egress laws, and if you are renovating an existing structure, it is based on square footage and cost as to how much of the existing must be upgraded to current egress codes. For example, I just got done with a casting studio in santa monica, California. It was adding walls in an existing structure, so all "new" building inside had to meet egress, but only had to do minor modifications to the existing structure. We didn't have to change windows or doors, but had to add handicap buttons and ramps. And the bathroom had to be fitted with handicap accessories. Granted, all of the doorways were still under 3'-0" but since it wasn't new, only some things hade to be "modernized" Ask your local dbs to see what their requirements are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Profit Planning [ 1 Answers ]

What is Trend Forecasting? Is there any formula or method to project future sales on basis of given set of data? Data is given in the file attached.636

Planning to build a Dating Site... Need help [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I'm planning to build a Dating site. Could anyone suggest me how to get started. Is there a way I can get the members that are already registered on other sites to my website? I don't think any one would come and register for a site with no members. I would really appreciate your help...

View more questions Search