Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladams32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2011, 10:28 AM
    Why do my computer has a virus when I have the McAfee Security program installed?
    My computer sometimes download a program with a virus. I have the McAfee Security from AT&T installed on my computer. When the computer automatic updated (around 2 AM), some of the file contains virus. The next day I try to get on the internet, it would said that the internet has stopped working and then close the website out. I generally restart my computer using system restore. Is there anything else I can do when this happen? Luckily I have a HP laptop, but unfortunately my brother has a Acer, and his computer does the same and I have to reinstalled the operation disk because it doesn't let me do anything.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 11:14 AM

There can be 2 reasons for it.

1) what your using isn't that good of a program. Many like it but it won't catch everything.

2) Any virus program can only catch what its programed to catch. So if the information for that virus isn't in the database it may not even see it.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 07:59 PM

It sounds like you're already infected. Turn your laptop on via safe mode and run a full system scan... make sure you're AV is up to date before scanning.

Also, never depend on an AV (realt-time scanner or other) to protect your PC. It is also the users responsibility to use safe browsing techniques and be careful not the bank on your AVto catch everything, As Califdadof3 stated, they don't catch everything.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    It sounds like you're already infected. Turn your laptop on via safe mode and run a full system scan... make sure you're AV is up to date before scanning.

Also, never depend on an AV (realt-time scanner or other) to protect your PC. It is also the users responsibility to use safe browsing techniques and be careful not the bank on your AVto catch everything, As Califdadof3 stated, they don't catch everything.
    Since we are on the subject and your in the business what AV do you prefer or recommend to others ?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 08:09 PM

Real-Time Corporate or freeware?

Real-Time
    We are currently transitioning from Symantec EndPoint Corporate Version 11 to Sophos. Symantec was garbage and left a HUGE footprint on our systems while running. Updates were huge and a lengthy time in between. Currently Sophos has an awesome dashboard, a very easy push-out client distro, and very small frequent updates. We have yet to monitor thefootprint on systems as we just started the change-over Thursday...

These are the only two I have ever used. But so far Sophos is looking good. We will be intentionally infecting a PC (via virus in email to test) to see it's real-time response among other things that Sophos is supposed to do.

The three we considered when planning on changing over was Sunbelt VIPRE, TrendMicro, and Sophos. Sophos was the most expensive (by a considerable amount) but offered A Lot more.

Also Sophos is NOT a consumer product. Therefore they focus 100% of their time and effort on corporate AV...

FreeWare
    MalwareBytes over AVG over anything else... personal preference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I change my Mcafee security to let me go on a website? [ 0 Answers ]

Mcafee won't let me go to warez-bb.org and I want to go how can I do this? Its making me mad I want to go on that website.

Computer viruses masking itself as an anti-virus program [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I purchases a laptop for my daughter in May. A Toshiba from Best Buy. Suddenly appearing on the computer is some type of security software from Best Buy that keeps popping up asking for $50. To activate. The pop-up keeps popping up all over the screen to the point that you cannot use the...

Will my computer get virurs if I use a program with virus with my computer [ 1 Answers ]

Will my computer get virurs if I use a program with virus with my computer

Reinstall to Uninstall a Mcafee program [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to remove a Mcafee file that is on my computer. When I try to uninstall the program on my computer. I get a messsage that says an important componet is missing please reinstall. What do I do? I would like to installl a new Security Suite.

Latest mcafee security [ 1 Answers ]

When I run a scan with mcafee, I keep items detected in it like 20 items, 25, etc. I use to get 0 all the time with the old mcafee. Are these items detected viruses or cookies etc? Thanks guys. It seems I couldn't have that many viruses

View more questions Search