Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STPat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2011, 09:12 AM
    Inviting outsiders on vacation?
    We are taking a family vacation this summer. It was to be my wife and I, our two adult children, and their "significant others". One of our adult kids recently took a new job and left the area. Thus he is unable to come with us. Because we will now have an extra bedroom my daughter asked my niece and her husband if they would like to join us for part of the week. She then asked my wife if we would mind since the couple would only be with us for three of the seven days. I am not at all happy about the added couple but my wife insists they will not interfere with our plans.
    Yes, they are "family" but this was to be our immediate family not someone we see once a year. This will be the only week of vacation we will get this year. We brought "outsiders" (kids friends, cousins) along when the kids were younger and there was always some conflict.
    BTW - The house a which we will be staying is owned by a friend who is loaning it to us for the week.
    Your thoughts are welcome.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2011, 10:44 AM

They have already been asked, so you would need a very good reason for un-asking them, and the possibility of conflict seems to me to not be enough. If they are well mannered adults, their presence should not be a source of conflict.

There's a big difference between having extra children around, and having extra adults.

Mar 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
    Comment on Eileen G's post
    I know that I may come off as selfish but... I like to pick the people I vacation with
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2011, 03:29 PM

That's a separate issue, it's possible that your daughter (and it's her holiday too) really likes these people and wants their company on the holiday.

Honestly, if everyone behaves, I think you'll all have a good time.

Personally, I find having someone else there often has a civilising influence, and prevents debates turning into childish "You did, I didn't, yes you did" type arguments.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2011, 12:33 PM

I agree you can't unask them now but when the trip is over, make clear to your kids that they have to ask you in the future before they invite other people to join the group, and remind them when you next make plans.
    Faizer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2011, 02:41 PM
    If your daughter likes your niece and her husbands company then better you should agree to her wish, it seems your wife too enjoy their company.. you mentioned there was a conflict years ago when you brought some friend kids along on vacation.. but that was old days.. now it seems like everyone here is an adult.. shouldn't be a problem.. just realx and enjoy your well deserved vacation.

Faizer

Sep 4, 2011, 03:08 PM
    Thanks to those who responded. The vacation never happened as dates changed and Hurricane Irene intervened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I respond when an employee asks to extend vacation days while on vacation? [ 2 Answers ]

Employee asked for Monday off for vacay. Approved. Then, Monday evening, she called me to ask for Tuesday off. She is an employee who has done this before, giving reasons that have to do with her son and his father spending more time, etc.etc. I'm all for family time, but feel that this is...

Outsiders use of a Corporate Name. [ 2 Answers ]

If I take a picture or video of my son eating at a famous fast food restaurant, must I get the Corporations permission to use their name or show the video in a public forum, like youtube.com, etc?

In need of advice from outsiders! [ 9 Answers ]

Hi! I am 27 and found out I was 6 weeks pregnant yesterday by my boyfriend of almost 3 years. People ask me why I didn't know, but I really don't keep up with my period because its irregular and I have a stressfull job and thought it was the cause of my miss period. I told my boyfriend and he's...

Friend inviting a other friends on a vacation [ 7 Answers ]

I am going to a Family girls reunion weekend for my husband's family and have asked my long time friend to come with me. She is excited to go because she joined me last year and it was fun. This year she wants mutual friends to come with us as well. I feel uncomfortable bringing a whole...

View more questions Search