Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2011, 08:52 AM
    Should I claim back my puppy?
    3,5 weeks ago I got a 7 weeks old female boxer puppy. Unfortunately I had to give her away to a rescue center, since as I thought I didn't have enough time for her and it would be better for her in future. The puppy was a present for me from my boyfriend. We live together. I am a student and he works away. He is 1 month away and 1 month at home. Sometimes I am not at home for most of the day because of my studies and courses I have to take. The puppy is being left alone, locked up in apartment. Even when I get back home I cannot play much with her as I have to study. Recently I have been noticing that she started following me everywhere and not eating unless I was next to her. She would ven follow me with food in her mouth while eating. That was disturbing for me. Also, she won't go into garden on her own, only when I am with her. Sometimes I would run away unnoticed so that she could play on her own there. But after a while she would go back inside. I started reading in the internet and came across a condition called separation anxiety when the stress of being left alone even for short periods can be overwhelming for puppies with all the negative implications. Anyway I started seriously thinking if I am the right owner for her and if she is going to be happy for me. With my studies and my boyfriend being away for 1 month, I decided to give her away to the rescue center hoping that they will find her a good home and owner who would be able to devote her more time. According to them puppies are rehomed quickly and they check on the new owners. Anyway, I am so sad right now. The house is empty without her and I miss her badly. Also, I can't helping thinking what owner she will end up with. I just want her to settle well. I am so confused. I am even thinking about taking her back, but the questions if would it be the right thing for her? It is true my boyfriend is away for 1 month, but when he is home he can be with her 24/7. besides we both love animals. He used to take dogs from rescue providing them home, not give them away and now we both feel ashamed. Would it be right to take her back and try giving her the best can?? Or is it better for her to be with somebody else?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2011, 09:08 AM

You made your decision to find another home for her. I would not rethink that decision now. In my areas you CANNOT get your dog returned to you because you change your mind when any rescue I work with is involved.

Puppies are a lot of work. You seem conflicted so I would leave her where she is. Assuming you checked out the rescue she will find a new home.

I wouldn't get another dog until your life is far more stable. It's not fair to you, your boyfriend or the dog.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2011, 10:03 AM

Not trying to be harsh, but I agree with Judy, You made your decision, you surrendered her, with the hopes she would get a better home. You felt you could not care for her proper therefore you gave her away so she could be.
    Dogs need stability, routine and care. Without all of these you can have a problem dog on your hands. I've seen many dogs that were given as gifts that had to be surrendered because the owner found out they couldn't handle or take care of it proper. I think you may be a good pet owner in time, after your life is more settled and you have the time it requires. I myself, took the pay loss and did not work for the first few months of my pups life with me to ensure his training and care was done proper. Not everyone can afford to do that. If I had felt I couldn't take the proper time and care for him I wouldn't of gotten him
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 11:39 AM

Jennann, it may not feel like it right now, but you did a good thing giving the pup to the rescue. They will find her a home that is ready for a puppy.

It does not sound like you are ready for not only a small puppy, but one who is going to need a lot of time and exercise. It does not sound like a Boxer would fit into your current lifestyle.

If your boyfriend got her from a backyard breeder, then you took her from a questionable future where she might have ended up in the rescue as a 40 pound bundle of problems because the other owners didn't know what they were getting until they couldn't handle it. Instead, she is young enough to find a forever home and grow up happy and healthy-mentally as well as physically.

You recognized that her needs were greater than your own. That is a responsible owner. Someday, you will be ready to be a dog owner. It just isn't today.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 02:44 PM

I don't think you did then wrong thing here at all. I think you made the right . Your boyfriend, being active in rescue should know that a pet is never the right gift to get anyone on a whim. Once you are both settled maybe you can re think getting a small pet, maybe a cat or a small dog. Just make sure to do plenty of research on breeds. And, maybe you two could choose the adoption option next time and rescue an older dog or cat :) Just sayin'... ;)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 03:00 PM

If I were you and wanted company, yet have a pet that is self-sufficient, I'd go back to the shelter and adopt an adult cat or two (who get along already, maybe siblings who haven't been apart). Cats tend to sleep sixteen hours or so a day and will easily adapt to your schedule and routines.

You'd be giving a homeless animal(s) a home and yourself company. Meanwhile, your outgoing pup will enjoy a home where he's not alone all the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-resident spouse - can we back date our tax claim? [ 1 Answers ]

I am married to a US citizen, but I am not a resident in the US. We understand we can file jointly for our taxes if I get an ITIN. Can we also back-date this application and claim this joint status for previous years? We married during 2007.

How do I take back my release for my daughters father to claim her [ 10 Answers ]

I stupidly agreed that my daughter's father could claim her every other year on taxes, but since I have her 12 months out of the year solely, without him seeing her, and I have only received child support this year since may, and do contribute more than half of the income each month I want to know...

Puppy trying to go back home? Puppy Attatchment? [ 8 Answers ]

http://bp2.blogger.com/_FAAhWpUtQZk/RuRyYXJT6-I/AAAAAAAAABE/oFHBuJrtsyU/s1600-h/buddahs.jpg Photo can also be seen at buddahs.jpg (image) Above a photo of Johnny Cash (jack russell mix). Someone gave me this dog mid August when she was 2 months old. I had her from mid August till the end of...

How can I find out who claim my child, and how can I get my money back. [ 1 Answers ]

How may I find out who claim my child, and how can I get my money back. Well I want to know what will happen if the father claim the child and he doesn't give the money to the mother. How would the mother get her money back.

Can I claim back FICA taxes paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working with an H-1B visa. I'm going back home in April 2006 and I am not intend to come back to the US to work. Can I claim back the Social Security and Medicare taxes I've paid?

View more questions Search