Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mizzbossi27 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2011, 04:27 AM
    Can I sue the school for a teacher violating my hippa rights
    A teacher violated my hippa rights an forced another parent to attack me an my child at the school.by telling the parent personal information.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 05:47 AM

The teacher has nothing to do with your health care provider. HIPAA stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. Basically it is the same thing as doctor/patient privilege.

There was no HIPAA violation here. What makes you think there was?

Mar 20, 2011, 07:55 AM
    Okay well can I sue the school for me being attacked an slander by the teacher?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 08:12 AM

You can sue the person who actually attacked you, And you can press criminal charges against the person who attacked you. ( will assume you called the police when it happened)

If you can prove the slander and prove it is what caused the attack you can sue the teacher.

Mar 20, 2011, 08:26 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Thank you!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 10:44 AM

"by telling the parent personal information." was this information accurate and true? What was the information that caused another party to attach you? As previously mention, this has nothing to do with HIPAA
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 11:53 AM

Agree, I did not say it, but this has nothing at all to do with HIPAA ( unless it was perhaps a school nurse who gave out medical info about someone she treated)

But the information given out has to be false and you will have to prove it is normally
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 08:26 AM

I'm wondering what a teacher might have said that would "force" another parent to attack. Obviously if you were attacked by another parent then that other parent is the one to go after, not the teacher.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2011, 04:25 PM

It would help us help you if you gave us the full story. Clearly you misunderstand the law by thinking this was a HIPAA violation. For us the judge whether you really have case against anyone we really need more details about what happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teacher wear school uniform to school-Pros & Cons please [ 2 Answers ]

Welll... I'm going to have a inter class debating soon and got to have some pros and cons for preparation. Can u guys help please? Thanks a lot.

Employer asking person health question is it violating hippa laws [ 4 Answers ]

Hippa Law Do your employer have the right to ask you What was wrong with you while you was out sick? Because I refuse to answer I was suspended. I did have a Dr.s excuse for the days off.

Can I sue for a HIPPA violation [ 1 Answers ]

I recently asked for a copy of a bill that showed what my father's insurance and medicare had paid. The anesthesiologists office sent a copy of this, but also, sent 2 pages with not only my fathers info- account number, SSnumber,etc,but numerous other former patients info! This is a major HIPPA...

Can I sue my employer or coworker for violating health privacy (HIPPA)? [ 6 Answers ]

I found myself in the hospital needing surgery. When I returned to work I found out that the general manager of the facility had violated my right to privacy regading some particular information about the situation to some coworkers as well as an ex-employee. Just trying to discoveer what kind of...

I Hurt my Teacher she might Sue help me! [ 19 Answers ]

Hi OK just going to ask you to please help me but first ull tell you the story Ok I was sitting in class with an alcohol tester that (had a red laser on the bottom of it ) So when I was demonstateing how the achol tester worked to my friend right beside me and the laser got the teacher in the eye...

View more questions Search