Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CBcollege Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2011, 10:19 PM
    Pay as summer intern reported on 1099-misc.Do I have to pay SocSec as self-employed?
    I received $1000, my only income for 2010, as a summer intern for a non-profit. It reported this in Box#7 on Form 1099-Misc. Do I have to pay Social Security tax on this? Medicare tax? Income Tax? I am a college student claimed as a dependent by my parents.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 20, 2011, 03:16 AM
    You do owe self employment tax (15.3%) which covers all SS, and income tax, which is $101 on $1000, for a total of $254 (minus any business expenses, which you might not have). The forms are SE and C.

BUT it would behoove you to let your parents add your income to theirs so that it can be offset by all their various deductions like mortgage and education costs. They can do this if you were under 24 on Dec 31 and a full time student last year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer says I am NOT self employed but IRS says I am from 1099 misc [ 11 Answers ]

Last year I received a 1099 misc with box 3 filled out from my employer - the IRS called me and said that I had to file that amount as self-employed... my employer says that I am not considered 'self-employed' but the IRS says that if that is the case my employer is filling out the wrong box...

How to pay an intern on an F-1 Student Visa? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We've hired a summer intern to work 40 hours a week, with a weekly stipend of $100 in our California-based offices. I have a 2 part question: 1. I know that F-1 students (working as part of Curricular Practical Training) are exempt from FICA Med, and FICA SS, and FUTA (unemployment),...

How do I pay 1099 misc taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in California and I just received a 1099 misc from my employer. Do I have to pay CA state taxes on top of the 15.3%? How/where do I pay the 15.3%? Do I just send a check to the IRS/State?

Employer Paid Intern Housing - 1099-MISC or W-2 [ 2 Answers ]

I'm hoping you can help... I've searched everywhere and there is no resource that covers this unique situation. I am a regular W-2 employee. I offered to rent a room to a summer intern of our company and the company paid me directly $300/monthly rent for the three month internship, totalling...

1099 misc-from a non-resident state for summer job [ 1 Answers ]

I am a freelance designer so my job takes me everywhere. Last summer I worked in MA. I am a resident of CT. Do I need to file a tax return for MA as well? I have reported it on my federal return using turbo tax and it did not warn me that I need to fill MA as well. If I need to file MA, do I file...

View more questions Search