Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cricket5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2011, 08:58 PM
    Transferring data off old hard drive
    We had our HP laptop motherboard die (at least that's what HP told us the problem was). We pulled the hard drive out and bought a different laptop. We also bought a cable that plugs into the old HP hard drive and then into the USB port of the new machine. I can see the hard drive of the HP under "my computer" when I plug it into the new machine. It is listed as drive "F."

It shows that a good chunk of the F drive is full (1.94 GB free of 11.7 GB). However, when I click on this drive, labeled HP_Recovery (F:), it shows only one folder, labeled recovery. This folder, when clicked on, says that it is empty. I had a number of folders on my old HP with some Word files I want to copy.

Is there any way to find these files? The HP only crashed a few months ago at most so this isn't an old drive.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Mar 21, 2011, 06:26 AM
    Your laptop was OEM (with HP as the Original Equipment Manufacturer). Most of these systems come with a hidden recovery partition you can use to get back to the factory default in an emergency. It sounds like your new laptop is seeing the recovery partition but not the OS partition with all your data. There can be several reasons for this but the most likely is your new laptops hard drive is formatted in a different file system than the old one and for some reason the recovery partition is the same (Fat32 and Fat32 or Ntfs and Ntfs). An NTFS file system can see FAT32 (NTFS was created after FAT32 so its aware, but FAT32 was created before NTFS existed so it cannot identify it, a FAT32 partition cannot see NTFS. There are ways to convert a drive to NTFS if that's the case but there are also free boot disks that run linux that can see both and would allow you to copy your files from one drive to the other that way. If you get your data that way you can then completely format the old drive into the new drives file system and use it as a back up external drive. The old drive is probably marked somewhere with its capacity, if it says its an 80gig drive and all you see is 1.94 left of 11.7 gig, then you know something is missing.
    clevelandfun795 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2011, 09:46 AM
    You should be able to drag and drop files from the old hard drive to your new laptop. Or copy and paste. Can you open files from the old hard drive?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieving data from old hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know that much about computors but need to get data off my old hard drive from another computor. I read your post about putting the old hard drive to slave and connecting it to the hard drive cable and also the power cable. During the boot up I had the side cover off the case which will not...

Recover data from Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if there is an easy, simple(yes, very simple), step By step way to recover data info from my computer hard drive?? I am not a computer geek, as in, not extremely knowledgeable as Far as computers go, so it would have to be very 1,2,3 or A,B,C As far as steps. Thanks for the...

How to recover data from hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

My Dell computer crapped out on me. I pulled both hard drives and they appear to be intact. I'm able to read them when I add them as slaves to my other computer. Here is the problem: My primary User on the primary drive, "Bob", will not allow me to access it. I can access all of the other Users,...

Transferring data from old hard drive. [ 2 Answers ]

My old Gateway Notebook running Windows XP died (the power supply went and the computer won't power up). I bought a new HP notebook running Windows Vista. I'd like to recover some of my data and files from my old computer (and possibly reformat the hard drive so that I can at least sell the...

Hard drive not showing up. Has data on it [ 1 Answers ]

Can Anyone help, my computers just come back from the shop, they put in a new power supply, I get home and my second hard drive isn't showing up, it shows up in device manager but not my computer. Please help

View more questions Search