Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    npande Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 03:30 PM
    What category on W7 for Spouse on H4?
    My wife is a dependent on H4, and therefore ineligible to work or to obtain an SSN. She arrived in the US in Dec 2006. For my 2006 return:

1) Does she need to get an ITIN if I want to file as 'married, filing jointly'
    2) What category should I choose on form W7? My guess was (e) "Spouse of a US citizen/ resident alien". The instructions on the W7 form, however, say that this category is for "A nonresident alien electing to file a U.S. tax return jointly with a spouse who is a U.S. citizen or resident."

Though I am a resident, does my wife qualify as a non resident?

I'd appreciate any insights.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2007, 03:36 PM
    1) Yes, she needs an ITIN.

2) Because she arrived so late in the year, she is considered a non-resident alien. Select category "e".

By filing jointly, she is a non-resident spouse filing jointly with a resident alien who is choosing to be treated as a resident alien for the entire year.

Understand that if she had ANY income from anywhere in the world, that income is subject to U.S. taxes if she chooses this option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A question of category [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a guiding principle concerning topics posting in the "religion" category as opposed to the "spirituality" category. . They are seeming more one in the same to me, the neophyte?

I Don't know what category this fits in :MTTR(mean time to repair) [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a website where I can find out exact guidelines for MTTR on T1 lines and DSL/cable lines?

View more questions Search