Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjsheehan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2011, 01:21 PM
    I have a 30 gallon electric hot water heater lowboy built into the cabinet and leaks
    It sits on the floor and I can't move it at all. I am not a plumber and I can't tell where the leak generates from. There is no room to take the tray off the bottom... any ideas?
    summer_girl Posts: 146, Reputation: 48

Mar 19, 2011, 01:47 PM
    Unfortunately I think you may have to take the cabinet apart to get to it. If DIY is beyond you for this, you should call someone because you really don't want water damage in your home.

Mar 19, 2011, 01:52 PM
    I was afraid that was the answer I would receive I think I just needed to see someone else give it to me... thanks
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2011, 02:24 PM

If u have a leak in your heater, and it is not from the in put or out put, the glass liner is probably cracked. This will only get worse with time and eventually break completely flooding your house. Best to have it replaced asap.

Chuck

Mar 19, 2011, 02:43 PM
    Thank you good to know, expensive but not as bad as it could be . Is there a short term band aid to buy me some time?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2011, 02:49 PM

No band aide if the tank has failed. Close the suplly and drain the heater. Start shopping for a replacement or switch to an in-line heater or a tankless heater which are both more efficient and more costly initially. I assume this is electric , right?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2011, 03:48 PM

Jjshehan, are you sure the leak is not the t&p valve? That would be a cheap and easy repair. Good luck

Mar 19, 2011, 04:08 PM
    t&p valve again I have no clue what that is I just see water under tank and it leaks moderately across floor. Do not take this wrong I appreciate your input , I just don't know the t&p valve
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 19, 2011, 04:11 PM

As parttime mentioned, check to make sure the t@p isn't the source of the leak. You've got that, the inlet and outlet, and the drain that can all be suspect. If these are all dry, and the floor is still wet, then the other advice here is dead on. No bandaids, just shut the water off and drain, as ballengerb says. No need taking a chance on doing further damage to your home. Good luck and please let us know how things work out.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2011, 05:26 PM
    Here's what a t&p valve looks like. It should be mounted in the side of the water heater. I hope this helps
    Attached Images

Mar 19, 2011, 05:45 PM
    Thanks part time I am checking now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 gallon vs 30/38 gallon electric hot water heater? [ 12 Answers ]

I am faced with the same hot water heater question as others. I am building a small utility building on property on Texas Gulf Coast. Within this building I want to put a small shower stall with a hot water heater to supply this shower and occasionally use a washer. It will be for...

Where is the anode rod in a 50 gallon electric Kenmore water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bad rotten egg smell. In the past I removed the rod in other water heaters, smell was gone I can't find this one. Whatttttttttttt how do I get rid of the smell?

Is a 60 amp breaker too much for a 40 gallon electric water heater? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a tankless water heater installed and after a lot of trouble with it, it died. So, I want to go back to a regular tank water heater. Can I hook it up to the existing electric service to the tankless, which is really big: two pole 60 amp breaker with a 6 or 8 wire? I have the feeling that...

Lowboy Hot Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any store (Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, etc.) that sells lowboy hot water heaters (40-47 gal.) off the floor, in my area... Keansburg, NJ?

Where can I find a lowboy gas hot water heater? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a crawl space & currently have a US Craftmaster lowboy gas hot water heater that fits comfortably in that area. It was made in 1991 & want to replace it. I looked at their site & do not see any gas lowboy heaters for sale anymore. All they have is electric lowboys. I would like a 50 gallon...

View more questions Search