Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ExecHeir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2011, 01:00 PM
    Texas Inherited Estate?
    My parents both died in 2010, Harris Cnty, Texas, with the last in December. The uncontested wills have been probated, I'm the executor, and there are 3 heirs. There are some real-estate property holdings: 4 apartments, 4 vacant lots, and the former homestead. There is over $350,000 in debts and the rent barely covers loan notes and regular monthly bills much less the additional insurance, taxes, fees and maintenance. I have an offer for the 4 vacant lots and as executor I want to sale the land and put the money in the bank used by the estate to support the estate. It will be used to pay off estate expenses of a $20,000 loan, other misc. debts of over $20,000, do some maintenance on the homestead, and leave some operating capital in the estate for things like taxes and insurance. My brother does not want to sale, because of some personal financial reasons. He feels the money from the sale of the property would be considered inheritance and his portion would get lost into issues with his creditors. I have no plans of disbursing any moneys to the heirs at this time but only using the money to support the estate. It may be years before we dispose of the other properties.

Does my brother have a true issue or can I sale the 4 lots from the estate and role back into the estate without creating an inheritance?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2011, 01:19 PM

All debts need to be paid before any money is paid out of the estate, if for example the actual value of the buildings is less than the mortgage, cash on hand may need to be used to pay for loss when property is sold.

So you need to figure all debts, values of property to see if there is even a positive value to the estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estate Inherited IRA Distribution [ 2 Answers ]

Our aunt passed away without any will. Her estate has been settled and her traditional IRA is ready to be distributed to my sister and me in equal amounts. My sister would like to receive her share annually over three years. I prefer receiving my share in one lump sum. Can the two different...

Estate Inherited IRA Distribution [ 1 Answers ]

Our aunt passed away without any will. Her estate has been settled and her traditional IRA is ready to be distributed to my sister and me in equal amounts. My sister would like to receive her share annually over three years. I prefer receiving my share in one lump sum. Can this distribution be...

Inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and two sisters inherited there mothers house last month when she passed away. One would like to sell the other two would like to rent it out. I was told by someone that if they sell this year they would not have to pay any taxes, but if they rent and then sell a year or two from now they...

Inherited real estate tax [ 2 Answers ]

When real estate property is willed to relatives, but not children or siblings, of decedent and they wish to sell said property, what are the federal income tax ramifications?

Should inherited co-op shares be listed in an estate? [ 6 Answers ]

The NYS tax office of Estate info said that a Co-op's shares do not have to be listed in a NYS Estate because they are treated as Intangible Personal Property. This came out of NYS Dept of Tax & Finance, Taxpayer Services Division, Technical Services Bureau, TSB-M-81 (1), Estate and Gift Tax,...

View more questions Search