Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buckeye05 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Shocks from appliances
    Whenever I use the receptacles in the garage it seems any metal tool etc will produce a minor shock. What causes this an how can I fix it?
    rhbell Posts: 47, Reputation: -1

Jan 21, 2007, 02:32 PM
    I'm not a electritian but I would say your outlet is not grounded. Flip the breaker off and remove the cover, than remove the retaining screws for the outlet and see if it is grounded to the box. Most times is either green wire or bare copper from receptical to a green screw in back of box.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Thou rhbell is correct to look for a ground inside the outlet box, you may need to test the ground to see it is actually working. If you have a voltage tester, you need to test across the hot of the outlet with one lead and connect the other lead of a volt meter to the metal box, or the bare or green wire inside the outlet.

There may be a grounding wire, green or bare, or the metal casing of conduit or BX cable, but there may be a loose connection or cable connector, preventing the equipment grounding wire from working.

Keep in mind, what ever tool you are using, may have a short in it that is looking for a ground, and since there is none at the outlet, the fault current is draining through you. This tool needs to be looked at for a short and repaired.

Or it is possible that there is something else on the circuit that has a short, and if the equipment ground is broken in the circuit, the fault current is in the bare metal and the ground at you outlet, and the current is coming out of the ground into the tool and into you.

These are a couple of ideas that may be causing your problem. If you don't get it fixed, someday you can be in real trouble, if the fault current is greater than 5 milliamps and it flows across your heart.

Just an FYI, all new homes, and for the last several years, must have GFI outlets in the garage, just for your protection from faulty power tools.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2007, 03:30 PM
    One quick check of the tool would be to take it in the bathroom and plug it into a GFCI outlet. Even a properly grounded 3 prong outlet should trip the breaker if it is shorted.
    shparsons Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye05
    Whenever I use the receptacles in the garage it seems any metal tool etc will produce a minor shock. What causes this an how can I fix it?
    Either u have a hot wire bleeding over on your ground or the neutral is lose inside the plug... if the wire is just pushed in the back of the plug take them out and put around screw and make sure all screws are tight
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Apr 22, 2007, 06:42 AM
    You may also want to check the polarity of your receptacles in your garage. Be sure the black (hot conductor) is connected to the brass screw and the white (neutral) has been connected to the silver screw. Not all home electrical installations are done by qualified electricians. You can purchase a receptacle analyzer from most electrical stores for about $10.00
    alectrician Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Apr 24, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JackT
    You may also want to check the polarity of your receptacles in your garage. Be sure the black (hot conductor) is connected to the brass screw and the white (neutral) has been connected to the silver screw. Not all home electrical installations are done by qualified electricians. You can purchase a receptacle analyzer from most electrical stores for about $10.00
    That is the handiest thing to have when testing unknown work quality. It saves a lot of time and frustration troubleshooting rookie wiring. Buy one today and save your life and mind

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faulty Gas Appliances Warning. [ 1 Answers ]

From http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/student_services/accommodation/safety_home.jsp The site is for students, but the advice is universal. Gas Safety There are two risks associated with faulty gas appliances, leaking gas and carbon monoxide poisoning. A gas leak should be detectable by the...

Chaning front shocks [ 2 Answers ]

My father is changing the front shocks on his 1983 Cougar does he need alignment afterwards?

Appliances for overseas [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to buy an Electrical Range (Oven) and an Electrical Dryer to send them over to Romania. In the Range book, it said single phase 120V/240V. Over there, there is 220V. Can I install them? What do I need to do to make them work? As I understand, here the appliances have two hot wires...

Big power drain, all appliances off. [ 5 Answers ]

My problem is that one of my three house curcuits, when switched on at the fuse box immediately sends the meter racing, even with no appliances plugged in. Plugging in and turning on the washing machine causes the contact breaker to switch off the circuit. Very grateful for any suggestions! Hugh.

View more questions Search