Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the geek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Cant see hard disk
    I have two hard disks,one of 40 GB and the other of 200 GB.On the first one I had a 10 GB primary partition and a 30 GB extended one.on the primary partition was installed windows xp.n the extended partition there were two logical drives,one of 20 Gb and the other of 10 GB.I had installed linux on the 10 GB drive,and the 20 GB drive was left for windows applications and stuff.Now accidentally I deleted the 20 GB logical drive and soon after that the disk management utility gave errors.When I rebooted the system,it would'nt boot.So I re-installed windows xp on my 200 GB disk,but from here I cannot see my 40 GB hard disk.I can see it in the BIOS settings though.Pleas help!
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

Jan 23, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Geek,

Partitions are assigned numbers. They are assigned in a particular order. That order is:

Primary #1, primary #2, primary #3, primary #4, etc

Once all the primaries are assigned numbers, then it goes to the first extended partition and numbers the logical partitions it finds there in order. Then the next extended partition, and so forth.

So what happened was that your computer (and most likely LILO or GRUB, the Linux boot loader) was configured to see that 10BG logical partition as being sequentially after the 20BG one. When the 20BG one was removed, the 10BG "slid over" to take its place numerically, and now LILO/BRUG couldn't find the 10BG partition in its previous slot, and died while trying to boot.

Now, with your new XP on your 200GB hard drive, you're saying that you can't see your 40GB hard drive? My thoughts here are that when you installed Windows, you deleted the previous Windows installation (which can be one of the defaults during the install), and Windows doesn't know what to do with your Linux partition, so you're stuck with no drives defined.

Go into control panel, admin tools, computer management, storage, disk management. Does the drive show up there? Does it have your partitions defined? At this point, you may be dead in the water and it would be easier to reinstall eveything on that 40GB drive.

-TS

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

BIOS detects the hard disk and but in hard disk configuration I did not see the cylindar and Track and Sector are there. Will send me the suggestion to repair my hard disk. Deep

Serious hard disk problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 20Gb Seagate, I set it as a slave (40Gb Maxtor being master). When I open "My Computer" it tells me that my seagate still have 5.75Gb of free space but when I browse it I only shows "My Documents" folder and "mydocuments.000" file (I moved My Documents' path to the Seagate drive).what...

Hard disk problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hai, This is sandeep kumar. I am having problem with my hard disk which is seagate. Till day before yesterday it was working fine. But today it is not even detecting. I am in confusion what to do. I don't know what may be the problem in tha disk. So can you please suggest me what may be the...

Cannot access hard disk [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 HDs on my XP sysyem.Suddenly,I cannot access the slave,boot up locks up on"verifying DMI pool data". If I disconnect D: all is well.If I define d: as master and diconnect c:,I can then boot up from floppy and access the drive. The drive (20GIG) has partitions primary 8,extended 19+ and I...

Choosing Hard Disk [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to buy a new hard disk, but I don't have much knowledge in this field. I would like to ask your opinion on choosing the best hard disk. I have take a look on the quatation of this particular computer store in my area. There are two choice that in my mind 1. 40GB Maxtor ATA...

View more questions Search