Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labrat1995 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 03:10 PM
    15 almost 16 dating 18 legal?.
    My current boyfriend is 18 turning 19 in September and I am 15 turning 16 in two and a half months , I've always dated older because I can't deal with the immaturities of the boy my own age. Recently my parents are trying to separate me from my boyfriend I was just wondering if legally they could do anything extreme to separate me from him. If anyone knows for sure I would really appreciate some help.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Mar 17, 2011, 03:17 PM
    If you were to have sex now, he could get arrested.

But as a 19 year old woman, I can safely tell you it's rare men my age are mature. If you're in the mindset that sex is a neccessity at your age, then you're definetely in the wrong relationship honey!

Xx Dani G
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2011, 03:25 PM

First ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. However, there are no laws that cover dating. All the laws cover sexual activity. If you are sexually active with him, then he could get in trouble, depending on where you live.

There is also another issue which has a greater bearing. If your parents do not want you dating him him and he continues to do so, they could prosecute for parental interference. So yes, if they don't like him, you may need to take a step back and wait until you are 18.

Mar 17, 2011, 03:32 PM
    My mom doesn't have a problem with it its just the whole protective dad thing.. I live in thunder bay ontario and heard that the age of consent is 16 I'm really hoping its true and if anyone knows that would be a great help.

And just so its clear were not sexually active as of right now
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2011, 04:00 PM

Yes the age of consent in Canada is 16. But the issue of parental interference is still an issue he has to deal with.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Mar 17, 2011, 04:04 PM
    My dad was under the impression I was waiting for marriage. (I WAS, but we won't get into that)

It's natural for dads to act this way, as they've now matured, and are able to remember "What they were like when their age". That's why they seem overprotective.

Make sure you aren't giving in to sex just to make your boyfriend happy, anyone who loves you will be happy to wait!

Xx Dani G
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labrat1995 View Post
    my mom doesnt have a problem with it its just the whole protective dad thing .. i live in thunder bay ontario and heard that the age of consent is 16 im really hoping its true and if anyone knows that would be a great help.
    It won't help as long as your dad is against it.

Mar 17, 2011, 04:41 PM
    What can I do to try and get them more comfortable with the idea of me and him together ?
    Like I am completely open with talking to them about the whole relationship and as far as sex goes I'm not waiting for marriage just waiting until I'm ready . No guy is going to change that
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labrat1995 View Post
    what can i do to try and get them more comfortable with the idea of me and him together ?
    like i am completely open with talking to them about the whole relationship and as far as sex goes im not waiting for marriage just waiting til im ready . No guy is going to change that
    Thunder Bay is home to Paul Shaffer, bandleader on the American Late Show with David Letterman.

If you were my child, I too would be against it, so I can't and won't offer you any suggestions to convince him otherwise. If you wish, I will explain why a parent would be against it. Or do you know already?

Mar 17, 2011, 05:27 PM
    No I completely understand why a parent would usually be against this however my last two boyfriends have been two to three years older than me and all of the sudden I'm not allowed to date someone because they are three years older ? I understand why a usual parent would be put off or non accepting of this but I was put into situations as a child where I had to grow up fast and as a result cannot go back to pretending to be a kid.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 05:47 PM

The age span is different now -- not greater or less maybe, but the two of you are in different places in your educations and emotional development with you only 15 (yes, only 15) and he already 18. You're just getting comfortable with being a teen, and he's an adult now. You're a young girl; he's a man.

Do you understand how this age span is different from earlier ones when you and the guy were both "kids"?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 09:37 PM

I'm going to admit that I have not read the whole thread yet, but since this is posted in the legal forum I would like to point something out to the OP.

The law doesn't care if you or the boyfriend is "almost" a certain age. The law cares about what you are right now.

You are 15 and the boyfriend is 18, no almost about it.

In the end, your parents can separate you from anyone until you are 18 and living out of their house on your own.

Are you employed and make enough salary to afford a baby?
    mikey121211 Posts: 1, Reputation: -1

Jul 8, 2011, 08:25 AM
    OK I don't know if it's the same were ever you live but in Canada if your 14 and say a guy is 19 example if the 14 year old girl says this is what I want and I want to date him they can't do anything but if your like 13 and dating a 17 or 16 be careful cause if the guy dose anything you don't like you can easily call the cops and make ac excuse saying he raped me or something like that but if you 14 and say its okay they can't do anything

Well that is how it works in Canada
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 8, 2011, 08:42 AM

Mikey, I can't say that the authorities enforce their law, but the age of consent in Canada is 16. This means that if you have sex with someone under that age you are committing statutory rape. And, with respect to statutory rape, it doesn't matter if the minor says "its okay"; she doesn't have the legal capacity to consent to sex.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal age dating [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 15 year old girl, and I like this guy who is 18. I was wondering if it would be against the law in Newfoundland ,Canada to date him..?

Is 16 and 20 legal for dating [ 3 Answers ]

Is 16 and 20 legal

Legal dating [ 6 Answers ]

Can it be legal in any way for a 16 year old to date a 21 year old?

Legal dating [ 32 Answers ]

If your parent or guardian gives you the permission to be wit someone who is over the age of 18, would it be considered breaking the law? Will he or she go to jail?

Legal age of dating [ 3 Answers ]

IM 17 and I don't live at home with my parents so what is my age limit to date someone?

View more questions Search