Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    livinglarge Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 12:25 PM
    Radiant Heat in Basement
    I am building a new house and using GEOTHERMAL as a heat source. I would like to use hydronic heat in my basement but I don't want to heat the entire slab due to cost.
    Can I heat only a portion?
    Will I need to put a brake in the concrete dividing where I don't want the radiant because of conduction?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 08:49 PM
    Yes, you can just install it in a zone. Concrete has a transmission coefficient of 0.42, similar to earth, so you won't be heating the whole slab. Heat transmission depends on what is called Delta T. In a basement, you have a basic ambient temp and the outflow-Delta T- will not be that great. I don't think a true thermal break is necessary but you could use a fiberboard expansion joint that would do the same thing. Problem with thermal floors in basements, and other areas, is that they need to be uncovered and in basements, people like to put rugs down and that just insulates the floor from transmitting heat to the foot.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Mar 18, 2011, 10:06 PM
    "Will I need to put a brake in the concrete dividing where I don't want the radiant because of conduction?"
    Yes, you will need to install a thermal break depending upon your local energy code.

Talk to your local code officials to determine what you need.

But generally speaking the 2009 IECC (International Energy Conservation Code ) requires a minimum of R-5 insulation under the entire heated portion of the slab and at least R-10 rigid foam insulation from the top of the heated slab to frost depth along the perimeter of any heated slab.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boiler for HW and radiant heat [ 3 Answers ]

Should I use two boilers in a new heat and hot water system I an existing house?

Radiant heat in the walls [ 6 Answers ]

I have a low ceiling in the basement. I was planing on using hydronic radiant heat panels for the basement. The main floor is radiant underfloor heat. Instead of using heat panels can I run the pipe up and down the walls and have the whole wall as the heat source?

Radiant heat questions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There I plan on installing a boiler etc. to heat the main floor with stapled up underfloor radiant heat and the basement with baseboard type heating. The main floor would have 5 zones. The basement would have 3 baseboard zones. My thoughts for the main floor is to have the kitchen, living...

Radiant Heat Won't Shut Off [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased an older home about 3 years ago with radiant heat in the ceilings. Recently, one of the bedrooms had the temperature spike al the way up to over 90 degrees. I can't seem to get the temperature to come down. The heat is controlled by a Mears single pole thermostat, model M401. The...

Radiant floor heating in basement. [ 2 Answers ]

Where do I find that plywood with the channels in it for radiant tubing. And how much am I looking at, is it worth it? Thank you

View more questions Search