Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomkovoor Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 10:24 AM
    CA capital gains and losses question
    I had a question with regards to capital gains and losses for CA. I am using turbo tax to do my taxes and in the capital gains and losses section they ask on CA source of income for the stocks. Not sure what is meant by CA source of income. I had questions about 3 situations

1: Stocks I brought when I lived in NJ and sold off there? Do I need to report these in CA?
    2: Stocks I brouhgt when in NJ and sold when in CA? How do I calculate percentage of CA income in those
    3: Stocks of company that I brought when in both states and sold in CA?

Also I was a resident of NJ in 2009 and lived there for 4 months in 2010 before moving permenantely to CA. Whne I file my NJ taxes do I file as part year resident or non resident? ANy kind of help is appreciated.

Regards
    Tom
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 10:57 AM

You file in both CA and in NJ as a part-year resident. You pay tax to NJ on the income you made for the 4 months you lived there, and you pay taxes to CA on the income you made for the 8 months you lived there. For capital gains income you apportion your gains based solely on the date you sold the stock. So if you sell stock while living in NJ you pay tax on it to NJ (not CA), and if you sell stock while living in CA you pay tax on it it to CA (not NJ - even if you bought the stock while living in NJ). However - the way the tax forms work you will actually report ALL income to BOTH states - it's just that the actual taxes you owe to each will be based only on your income while living or working in that state.

Mar 17, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Does the same apply for dividends as well?
    Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomkovoor View Post
    Does the same apply for dividends as well??
    Yes - you allocate dividends into one bucket for dividends received while a NJ resident (which you will pay NJ income tax on) and second bucket for when you lived in CA (and which you pay CA income tax on). Same thing with other income as well such as interest and wages. TurboTax will step you through the process, as long as you tell it that you moved from NJ to CA during the year.

Mar 17, 2011, 01:44 PM
    Thanks for you help on answering some of my question. One last thing I was doubtful about was a question that came up in turbo tax.

When my company moved me to CA there was a little mess up on my tax deduction and for a couple months ( 1 or 2) my paycheck did not deduct CA taxes but NJ taxes while I was here in CA. This has been corrected since

When in turbo tax I put part year resident and it asked if you received NJ source of income when not residing in NJ? Does the situation mentioned above mean that I did have NJ source of income while not residing.

Regards
    Tom Kovoor
    Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomkovoor View Post
    When in turbo tax I put part year resident and it asked if you recieved NJ source of income when not residing in NJ?? Does the situation mentioned above mean that I did have NJ source of income while not residing.
    No. At that time you were living and working in CA, so that money is CA source, not NJ source. You should find that you get a nice refund from NJ because of this withholding being paid to NJ which was a mistake. That's the good news. The bad news is that you may owe CA taxes for the time when you had CA source wages but no CA taxes were withheld. So be prepared to write a check.

Mar 17, 2011, 02:02 PM
    Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. Yes after calculating CA I do have a big one to pay off. I need to complete the NJ one now. Once again thank you

Regards
    Tom Kovoor
    Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 02:42 PM

You're welcome!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unrealized gains or losses [ 0 Answers ]

As per the IFRS/GAAP guidelines, the unrealized gains for the Trading securities is reflected on the income statement. Whereas any unrealized gain on the "Available to sale" security is not reported on the income statement. Rather it is included in the Balance sheet as "Other Comprehensive Income"....

Can short term capital losses offset long term capital gains in the same tax year? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend sold some investment real property this year and had a large long term capital gain. He invested the proceeds in the market and the values are down. If he sells the investments now he will have some short term capital losses. Can he use the STCL to offset the LTCG? He also paid...

Capital Gains in 2007, but heavy losses in 2008. Suggestions on Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm hurting, like many folks in the market today. Basically, I made some money in 07 and owe Uncle Sam taxes; however, in 08 I've lost all of my capital gains from 07 and then some. I need some professional tax advice... 1. Are there any tax advice to reduce the amount I owe on capital...

Tax treatment for capital gains and losses for year 2007 [ 6 Answers ]

How to treat gains and losses and offsetting?:confused:

Capital gains and losses [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a loss on the sale of stock. I understand I can only claim 3000 per year. Does this mean I can deduct the entire 3000.00 or is it a percentage of the 3000.00? By the way this is a long term loss.

View more questions Search