Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlabamaRaptor Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2011, 06:34 AM
    @ScottGem...
    The property description says it goes towards the creek and gives the footage. The "towards the creek" was BEFORE the Corp of Engineers moved it. The courthouse (probate court records department) actually has the records of the Corp of Engineers moving the creek and even has diagrams.

Mar 18, 2011, 06:36 AM
    Comment on AlabamaRaptor's post
    I forgot...
    "So, to summarize, the city has actually done nothing to actually possess the litorial (stream-side land) on your side, right? Such acts of possession would be necessary for them to establish adverse possession." - That's correct! There is NO record that the city took the land for right of way, has title to the land, NOTHING!

Mar 18, 2011, 06:41 AM
    @Fr_Chuck...
    It has the property size in feet and uses the terms "towards the creek", etc. We know "towards the creek" because the Corp of Engineers had very good records and recorded them all in probate court.

I'm trying to find an attorney who does real estate law now but I want one that's NOT in my area since this involves a city.

Mar 18, 2011, 07:36 AM
    Comment on AlabamaRaptor's post
    Also, the city wasn't established until the late 1970's AFTER my parents purchased the land.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 18, 2011, 11:51 AM
    So, in summary, the piece of land on OP's side of the creek is in the late grandmother's name, and the city is saying that it owns it. However it has done nothing to actually possess it.

AlabamaRaptor, I suggest that, first, you figure out who are your grandmother's heirs, and pursue what court action is necessary to get title transferred to you from your grandmother. This might involve quitclaims from her other heirs (if necessary), and possibly re-opening her probate case (if one was ever opened in the first pace).

Then, or perhaps as part of the same action, you could name the city as a defendant, so as to quiet title. I don't see how the city even has an arguable claim, of the record is as you portray it. The only possible issue would involve title to the portions of land which were on their side before the Corps relocated the stream. And as someone else has recently pointed out, adverse possession doesn't work against the government. I understand that the city wasn't established until 1970, but the city stands in the shoes of whoever or whatever owned the land before then.

Mar 18, 2011, 12:15 PM
    Thanks AK_lawyer! Someone suggested to me that I get all my research done and then just approach the city counsel after it's in my name (the heir issue is the easiest since my parents bought it legally but the title was just never put in their name; bought it, using it, and paying taxes on it... since 1975) and have them make me an offer for it or even to have the title insurance company settle it *if* they (the city) bought title insurance for the land the park is on. I am a city employee of this city but only part-time so I don't want to cause a problem.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2011, 02:33 PM

Good luck and keep us posted. Like to know how this comes out.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 18, 2011, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaRaptor View Post
    Thanks AK_lawyer! Someone suggested to me that I get all my research done and then just approach the city counsel after it's in my name (the heir issue is the easiest since my parents bought it legally but the title was just never put in their name; bought it, using it, and paying taxes on it... since 1975) and have them make me an offer for it or even to have the title insurance company settle it *if* they (the city) bought title insurance for the land the park is on. I am a city employee of this city but only part-time so I don't want to cause a problem.

Yes, you could approach the city council and seek a settlement. But does the city have a need for the land? If they have never used it before, why would they want it now?

Mar 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    Yes they use it! It has a very active baseball fields on it that are used EVERYDAY for practices and games!!

Mar 18, 2011, 03:32 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    3 baseball fields to be exact! It was re-designed a few years ago and everything is still in very good condition!

Mar 18, 2011, 03:33 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Will do!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a new house with land and someone's else home is half way on my land. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Alabama and would like any suggestions on what my rights are?

Parents deeded land to children before their death, tax consequence upon sale of land [ 1 Answers ]

What is tax consequentce on sale of land that was deeded to children before death of parents (now deceased)

My bro-in-law owned 40 ac. Of land we have lived on the land for 5 yrs, can the heirs [ 1 Answers ]

-my brother-in-law ask my husband and I to move onto his land with him. He has died and left no will. The land goes to his kids. The question is can they make us move off the land even though we were to live there as long as we wanted to.

View more questions Search