Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GTVOULA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 01:57 AM
    Which line of section V of the 8854 form do I use
    Hello
    I recently moved from US to EU after being a long term permanent resident. I have a 401k which I will not be cashing in.
    I have to file form 8854. Which line of section V of the 8854 form do I use to list the 401k asset. How is the cost basis (column b) figured out?
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 10:53 AM
    First, HOW LONG were you in the United States? Did you have a green card?

The reason for these questions is that, if you were on a work visa (H-1 or L-1), you in fact may NOT be a long-term resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 8843 Line 1b [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My visa changed from F-1 OPT to H-1B from March 1, 2010. What should I fill in Form 8843 Line 1b (Current nonimmigrant status and date of change)? F-1 itself since that was the non-immigrant status as of Dec 31, 2009 OR H-1B since this is the non-immigrant status as of today Thanks...

Form 1040, Line 10 [ 1 Answers ]

Does the term "offset" in Line 10 of Form 1040 apply to a multi-State situation where an underpayment to one State can be offset against a credit from a second State. For example, if a State tax credit is received in previous year for $3,000, but $2,500 is owed to another State is $500the correct...

Form 8843, line 4b [ 1 Answers ]

I am puzzled while filling up form 8843 line 4b which is Enter the number of days in 2008 you claim you can exclude for purposes of Substantial Presence Test. My situation: Number of days present in US in 2008 - 322 days Out of 322 days, Number of days on H1B is 92 days, before that I was on...

Forms to be filled for Section 12 of w2 form---F1--OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Iam an Indian. I am on F! visa. I am working as graduate teaching assistant in the university till August in Alabama. From October I am on OPT and am working in Tennesse. My company paid me relocation and I am in 401k plan. I came to know that Other than 8843 and 1040NR-EZ, I need to fill...

Form 8854 [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with IRS form 8854? This form has to be filled by US citizens or, as in my case, by residents who leave permanently US and move abroad. I have read the instructions but there are a few points that I do not get. Does anyone that fills this form for the first time have...

View more questions Search