Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arjunair86 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 12:02 AM
    Locked mouse?
    My mouse got locked in desktop.I am not able to move it anywhere.
    Before this happened I was trying to uninstall kaspersky antivirus by using kavremover.
    Then when I rebooted,I found that my mouse got locked.
    *** *** *** *** *** *** HELP!!
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Mar 17, 2011, 07:06 AM
    Make sure you didn't bump it where it's plugged in and it's fully seated, then reboot and keep hitting the F8 key every half second or so during startup to get to the Safe Mode Screen and select "Last Known Good Configuration". That's done it for me in the past.

Mar 18, 2011, 06:25 PM
    Comment on Appzalien's post
    I hope it works.
    I forgot to say that I have dual boot system,i.e, Win XP and Win 7.
    And mouse is working fine in Win 7.

Mar 20, 2011, 06:00 AM
    Hmmm! It almost sounds like the Win7 drivers for the mouse are loading at boot up even if you choose to go into XP. Mouse and keyboard drivers are loaded early on so you can use the keyboard in the bios (but not the mouse, although some other boot apps will allow it). XP drivers for the mouse would probably work in 7 but 7 drivers would not be recognized by XP since XP has no idea 7 exists, unlike 7 that was developed after XP is fully aware. If the last known good configuration reloads the XP drivers, I would guess the mouse will work in both again. I hope your XP is not infected, viruses are noted for screwing with drivers.

Mar 20, 2011, 06:42 PM
    I found one problem in Win Xp.
    I went to device manager and checked the drivers and I found that my Mouse and other pointing devices had an error with a exclamation(!) mark.Under that,there is an error in HID Compliant Mouse.
    Also when I start Win Xp, I always find a error named Failed FsUsbExService, No Existing FsUsbExDevice.
    What should I do.

Mar 21, 2011, 05:22 AM
    HID (Human digital Interface) are drivers for USB devices like mouse and keyboard as well as some game controllers. If you know where to go for drivers for your system from the manufacturer look for the HID compliant drivers for XP, Win 7 Probably loaded its own during install. Do you have the type of keyboard that came with a PS/2 adapter to hook up there instead of USB? I actually prefer it that way since I hate to use USB slots for Keyboard or Mouse that I can have open for other devices instead. You might also go into your BIOS and check to see that USB is enabled for the mouse and keyboard and set to high speed. You can buy USB to PS/2 adapters but they don't always work for all mice (squeak!).

Mar 23, 2011, 02:23 AM
    I am not able to find any drivers to download in internet.
    Please suggest me some sites from where I can download the missing driver.

Mar 23, 2011, 06:18 AM
    In order to find drivers you need to know the manufacturer and model number of the desktop or motherboard. Use an application like Belarc Advisor or SIW (both free system info utilities) to find out what your system is made of. For an OEM machine (HP Gateway Dell) use the PC's model number and go to their site. For a Home built use the model number of the motherboard (GA-MA780G-UD3H [Gigabyte]) to get them if they even exist. Without that kind of info I can't find anything for you. Did you check the bios? There are a few USB settings in there you can change as mentioned in my last post. Not all boards require HID drivers, if your Device Manager in XP has a yellow exclamation mark by HID drivers you can try the free Unknown Device Identifier to see if it helps Identifying the problem chipset for you.

Mar 23, 2011, 07:12 PM
    You are correct there is a yellow exclamation mark by HID drivers(mouse).
    I installed the Unknown Device Identifier in Win7 and I downloaded the driver but I still I am not able to install it in Xp because when they ask to accept the license agreement,I am unable to mark that option.
    Not only that,problem is going on increasing.Now when I start Xp,all the icons will vanish once I refresh and when I go to My Computer,and try to open any drive,an error comes telling Insufficient system resource.
    WHAT SHOULD I DO??

Mar 25, 2011, 05:17 AM
    Hey,where did you go?Reply.
    OK I installed Belarc Advisor and next what should I do??
    Please reply

Mar 25, 2011, 07:32 AM
    I assume that in XP you cannot make that option because the mouse doesn't work. There are work a rounds for the mouse using the keyboard, but its still a good idea to have a PS/2 mouse for just such occasions. You can get a cheap one just as a back up. When the mouse isn't working you can use combination's of keys to highlight choices and then hit enter once your there. I haven't done it in a long time but I believe it's the TAB key that will highlight the choice or tab buttons and then use the arrow keys to move back and forth, up and down. Once you have the OK or whatever selected just hit the ENTER key and it should install without the mouse active. Then once you reboot (CTRL + ALT + Del to get to the Task Manager, then use TAB to highlight the upper menu, and the arrow keys right and down to get to the reboot or shutdown). I hope this helps, without being there it's very difficult to walk you through

By the way, it's suggested that if you decide to use dual boot, that you always install the oldest OS first then the newer, since any new OS is well aware of the older one but an older OS has no idea of the future OS. That way you can always get your older drivers in before you install the next Operating System to a new partition.

Mar 25, 2011, 07:34 AM
    I forgot, besides the TAB key for changing within a window, I think it's the ALT key that will move the highlight between windows. It's good to know if your mouse fails or gets accidentally unplugged by the cat.

Mar 25, 2011, 06:09 PM
    Yup,I installed XP first then Win7.
    And I will try for PS/2 mouse once.

Mar 25, 2011, 06:12 PM
    Exactly!!
    I could install Belarc Advisor in XP.
    Next step please.

Mar 26, 2011, 03:58 AM
    Buddy,only you can help me.I am waiting for your reply.Please tell me what should I do next.You type all the possible solutions for the problem and I will reply you according to that.

Mar 27, 2011, 05:51 PM
    You said:

"I installed the Unknown Device Identifier in Win7 and i downloaded the driver but i still i am not able to install it in Xp because when they ask to accept the license agreement,i am unable to mark that option."

So can't you use the tab alt trick to select the options and hit enter to install the driver?

Mar 27, 2011, 05:58 PM
    What I mean is you should be able to accept the license by using the keys to highlight the button. It will show a border around it once its selected. The alt key switches windows (I don't know how to force a window up front though) and the tab key moves within that window. But I think it will still fail. I have a funny feeling its something in the bios.

Mar 28, 2011, 05:36 PM
    I don't know,I installed the driver but still the mouse is not working and now I am really annoyed of this.If you know how to remove xp from dual boot with 7,then please inform it to me.

Mar 29, 2011, 05:30 AM
    If I were you, instead of uninstalling and perhaps opening a new can of worms, go out and buy an inexpensive PS/2 mouse and remove the USB one from the equation to see if you can at least get A mouse working with XP. The PS/2 mouse needs no HID drivers and might eliminate your issues for 10 to 20 dollars. Unless your mouse is some sort of special 8 button gamer mouse there should be no problem.

Apr 1, 2011, 06:26 AM
    Anyway thanks for your help.
    Now I am trying to remove Xp from dual boot with win 7.
    I have asked another question in the topic "Windows".
    Hope you will get through that too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm looking for a movie that has a mouse in who I think is a spy(not danger mouse). [ 4 Answers ]

The only scene I remember is a plane crashing and a fat mouse surviving by being locked in the bathroom on the toilet. Also, the mouse may have driven a red car, but I'm not sure.

Mouse locked up on laptop [ 4 Answers ]

HP Pavilion dv2000

My mouse is locked on my laptop, how do I fix it? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to work my laptop, I'm turning it on and entering my password but the mouse on the laptop itself won't work. Is there anything I can do to fix it?:( :( :( :( :(

View more questions Search