Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 11:06 AM
    Meter Bases
    Greetings,

I have to replace my meter base tomorrow morning and I believe that the PoCo dropped off the incorrect base.

The base they dropped off has a smooth top and a front door that secures at the bottom and lifts upwards to to remove.

However, in order for me to install this base, I will need to invert the box and connect the riser to the now bottom of the base.

Is this the correct base for underground service?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2011, 01:06 PM
    Sounds like your were given a socket that is only for underground, has no knockout or opening on the top, left photo. There is nothing on the top to show in the photo.

With an aerial service there are meter sockets for overhead, using a hub fitting that bolts onto a top opening ,right photo.

Need to contact them to see if they have one to pass out with the hub opening and hub sized for the riser conduit.
    Attached Images

Mar 17, 2011, 03:22 PM

"And the small snowball rolled down the hill gathering speed and mass. Until it obliterated everything in sight!"

Well today dawned bright and dry. The PoCo was only a half hour late. The old meter base fought mightily to stay where it was. But finally it yielded.

The new meter base, was taller than the old one, so siding had to be cut. Because the new base was taller, it did not line-up screw holes.

Finally all is put together and PoCo says, hey, you cannot have 2/0 in that base. It needs to be 4/0.

What a Chinese fire drill!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2011, 05:37 PM

What Amps is your Service?
    Do the Lugs not handle 2/0?
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 04:57 AM
    Assuming your in North VA, and assuming your POCO is Dominion, here is their service requirement handbook:

http://www.dom.com/dominion-virginia...f/bluebook.pdf

They do provide the meter socket and conduit hub.

I do not see why they have a problem with you using #2/0, copper I assume, and they want #4/0, aluminum, I assume.

If this is not your POCO, every POCO will have a requirement handbook showing exactly what they will furnish and exactly what is required by the customer.

Poor planning?

Mar 18, 2011, 05:28 AM

TK,

Yes. I'm in South East Virginia. Dominion Power is the utility.

I have a "Bluebook", also provided at no charge. As far as their service, I was quite happy with them. They were one cup of coffee late, but that is well within tolerances. And as a bonus, they "gave" the 4/0 to me.

They just disconnected the base, taped up the conductors and let me have at it.

And as promised, within an hour of the inspection report being faxed in, they were back to re-connect the conductors.

All in all, it went fine, the inspector showed up on time and faxed the information over to PoCo.

That old piece of junk I have for a service panel was more of a problem. It did not want to take the 4/0 conductors in the lugs. I picked three mechanical connection 4/0 lugs but they could not be fitted to the old panel. So brute force won out over small diameter hole.

All is well!
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 05:34 AM

Was the 4/0 Aluminum?
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 05:41 AM
    Not really following this, first there is a Chinese fire drill and now all is well?

Was the #2/0 aluminum?

Is this a 200 Amp service? Allowed is #2/0 copper and #4/0 aluminum.

Exactly how did your muscle #4/0 wire into a #2/0 lug?

And they tape something that is energized so the customer can change their equipment?

Scary.

Mar 18, 2011, 05:46 AM

Absolutely!
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 05:50 AM

Was the #2/0 aluminum?

Is this a 200 Amp service?

Allowed is #2/0 copper and #4/0 aluminum.

Exactly how did your muscle #4/0 wire into a #2/0 lug?

Can you elaborate?

Mar 18, 2011, 05:55 AM

Okay,

The service feeders from the transformer to the meter base are 4/0 aluminium. All neighborhoods are wired this way.

My service is 125 amp. However, PoCo now requires that 4/0 AL now has to go from the meter base to the main service panel. My installation had 2/0 Al so I had to change out the cable from the meter to the service panel.

Yes, the service laterals were hot. PoCo did not drop the service at the transformer. They left the lines hot and just taped over the exposed conductor ends.

It wasn't scary at all. The conductors were safe to handle as long as I handled them properly, which I did.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 05:58 AM
    Strat I asked the same questions. Apparently Don cannot or does not want to elaborate.

Lets face it, there is no secret getting a big wire into a small hole.

Damage the wire by crushing it and/or cutting off strands.

Mar 18, 2011, 06:03 AM

Hold it, I am answering your questions! I just do not type as fast as you guys do.

No wire strands were cut. The cables were not thinned down to fit. The cable did get down into the lugs but it was tough getting them in.

Mar 18, 2011, 06:17 AM

If I had 2/0 copper, I would have used that but I do not.

There were two reasons for the cable change.

1) Because of the design of the new meter base, the cable from the meter base to the panel was to short.

2) The PoCo tech said it was now required.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 06:19 AM
    All I can do is base my response on the last response given, "Absolutely".
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 06:36 AM

Absolutely TK, I actually coppied and pasted your questions(stole).
    Was curious of the answer.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 02:15 PM
    Don sounds like your on your way to a new electric service.

Fun huh?

When will the panel get changed out? Are you doing it? Rest up if so.

Mar 19, 2011, 08:38 PM

As I write this I am searching for panelboards.

Yup, you guessed it. I'm planning to do the work. I know I can pull the permit, I'm not to sure about how happy Dominion Power will be about me pulling the meter. But I'm pretty sure can get their permission. They let change the meter base .

Even though we are not yet required to AFCI protect everything yet, since I have been blessed with AL wiring I was planning on installing the AFCI breakers.

I priced out the Square D, Homelite, 200A 3040 Main Breaker unit and AFCI breakers,

$3,338.00 later, I had my first stroke! Neither Lowe's or HD have 20A AFCI breakers, they have 15A.

What a basket of worms! I also checked, Grainger and Graybar along with City Electric Supply and I'm now working on my second stroke.

I'm open to suggestions if you guys have them.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2011, 04:12 AM
    What size AL wire is already installed?

Mar 20, 2011, 04:52 AM

Good morning TK. I hope you have coffee handy, mines brewing now.

Remember this palace of ours was wired by the firm of Doowe Cheatem and How. Yuk, yuk.

There are six 15 amp (12 AWG) circuits. That includes one 15 amp GFCI circuit that supplies the kitchen (lights and receptacles).

Den light, hall light, hall receptacle, two bathrooms and the master bedroom (addition to the home). Nothing like overloading a circuit!

There are two 20 amp that I am guessing are wired at 10 AWG AL. At least I hope they are, I have no idea what the codes were when this place was built back in the '70s.

There are also two 30A DP and two 40A. Finally there is a 60A A/C breaker.

That covers what has to be replaced.

My plan, is to pull the permit, R&R the panel. I'm going to replace the panel with a 200 amp service panel.

Then, I'm going to add two 20A, copper, GFCI circuits for the kitchen and leave the lighting circuit alone. I'll probably just abandon the Al wiring in the wall and fish the copper.

Then I plan on running two copper 20 amp GFCI circuits to the bathrooms for lights and receptacles.

The master bedroom will also get a 20A circuit.

Once I get everything in and inspected, I have the PoCo increase my service to 200. Right now it is at 125A. According to PoCo records.

Anyway, that's the plan, now to find the revenue to get the supplies!

Time for a coffee run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

60 AMP feeder line to meter and from meter is 200 AMP wire to my electrical box. [ 13 Answers ]

I have a old 60 AMP feeder line from the top of my house to the meter. From the meter is 200 AMP new wire. I was wondering if this is even safe and what would the cost be of updating the feeder line?

What size meter/tap size do I need to run public water 0.3 miles from meter to house [ 3 Answers ]

I need to connect to public water for a variety of reasons. City Engineering has told me I need to make the determination of tap size. House is ~ 0.3 miles from where meter will be installed on driveway/public street junction. City Engineering will make no recommendations on tap size but have...

What is the avg. Gas p.s.I. From gas meter on the residentcial side of meter [ 2 Answers ]

What is the avg. gas p.s.I. from gas meter on the residentcial side of meter. I think its 5 lbs. I live in Los Angeles, don't know if it changes from state to state.:eek:

320 Meter Bases [ 1 Answers ]

Is double-lugging permitted on class 320 meter bases, or do they have dual lugs for parallel service conductors?

View more questions Search