Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ron1986007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2011, 08:40 PM
    What is difference in va rating ans watt rating
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Mar 16, 2011, 06:51 AM
    The Watt rating is a measure of the real power only. The VA rating includes both real and imaginary (reactive) power.

For a purely resistive load, the reactive power is zero. In the case of a partially reactive (i.e. capacitive or inductive) load, however, extra current and voltage are "stored" during half the cycle, then "returned" during the other half of the cycle. Hence, reactive power is not useful for doing any real work. However, it nevertheless increases the total current flowing through the system's conductors and components. Therefore, it's important to specify the system's VA capabilities as well as its real power (Watts) capabilities. The difference between the two corresponds to the power factor (PF) of the system.

By the way, reactive power is usually measured in units of volt-amps reactive (VARs).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a difference between a 14.5 seer and 15 seer rating? [ 3 Answers ]

I was to have a 15 seer unit installed and in reviewing the manual it states that I have a 14.5 seer unit, should I question this with the installer?

Difference between 110 V and 220 volt rating cable [ 9 Answers ]

In usa domestic voltage is 110 volt whereas in britain and asia we use 220 volt. I was asked that whether can we use american cable for 220 volts supply. I know the current carrying capacity is based on the cross sectional area of the conductor and insulation thickness. In usa AWG is used whereas...

Ask Me Rating [ 1 Answers ]

I've noticed there are some checks by names that say rated.What does this rating mean, who does it and why.

Electrical outlet rating vs. Circuit breaker amperage rating [ 5 Answers ]

Hello to all, I am new to this forum, please excuse me if this question has been answered. I just bought a Thermal Dynamics Plasma cutter. It has a Nema 50-P plug end on it, which I assume is to be plugged into a Nema 50-R outlet. In looking in my reference book, this is a 3 wire...

View more questions Search