Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tea09 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2011, 05:27 PM
    Social work of English the better major?
    I could do both. With social work I know I will be able to find work and I like to help people however, I love to write and English/lit classes have always been my strong suit. I just want to know which ones you'd choose if you were in my shoes? I will probably be declaring my major this coming Thursday and I've been flipping back and forth between the two for a while now. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    summer_girl Posts: 146, Reputation: 48

Mar 15, 2011, 06:07 PM
    I'd ask what kind of social work would you like to do, and what do you think you'd do with a major in English? My first thought is teaching. Either way there are always jobs but I just wondered if you had any kind of vision on what you would like your work day to be like.
    tea09 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2011, 06:31 PM
    I know with social work I would want to work with kids or troubled teens. I'm not really sure what that work day would consist of but I know there would be paperwork involved. With english I'd want to be at a job doing something creative... anything involving writing (which is kind of hard to find these days)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 15, 2011, 06:39 PM

I was an English major and later got a master's in counseling psych. I'm a published author and am now taking courses in order to fine-tune my editing skills. I spent some years teaching/tutoring and thirty years working in public libraries in all departments as well as serving as the resident trainer for staff, volunteers, and court-ordered community service workers.

My point it, I've been able to do it all -- social work, counseling, writing, library work, editing. They all fit together well, overlapped, inter-meshed, complemented each other.

I made it happen that way, and you can too. Start with what you love and branch out from that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2011, 06:40 PM

Double major, many do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help choosing a major ! Chemistry or English? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 17 years old and I am a senior headed to college soon. I always thought I would major in english but I was introduced to chemistry this year & I love it! I love the fact that I get it so easily- it makes me confident that I have the highest average in that class. I still have a passion for...

English, Psychology, Journalism, Communications and Social Work all bad majors? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in my first semester of my sophomore year of college and I have to pick a major by the time I go to re-register for winter classes in November. I've been between majors since I came to college, and I've remained undecided but now that I have to choose I don't know which path to take. People...

How many major English dialects are there in you S A ? [ 0 Answers ]

How many major English dialects are there in U S A ?

English major looking for info re: graduate school selection [ 1 Answers ]

I know there are several reputable books available for purchase with information about receiving a quality education, but it has been my experience that online resourses are much more informative and typically have some way of connecting with people who have had experience with a particular thing. ...

View more questions Search