Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hippoatlarge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2011, 11:55 AM
    Did not get served properly with summons and now they are seeking clerical judgement
    I was not servered properly with a summons or complaint against be from a credit card company that I owed a debt to. I did not know until I got a letter saying that I was served with a summons and complaint, then a judgement was sent to my address. I don't have a lot of money to hire a lawyer, but would appreciate any help in this legal matter. What are my options to re-open this case as I wasn't even aware of the court day and never got the summons and complaint served to me personnally as the paperwork said. I had go to court just to get a copy of the summons and complaint.
    cptjer88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2011, 12:25 PM
    Every state has different versions of what constitutes "getting served", most of which do not involve direct contact with you. In the judgement should be the service paperwork which will show exactly how the service was effected. If personnaly, what circumstances, i.e.. Someone answered of this description and refused to accept, left at door step counts in most places as personnally served. Certified mail, refused or accepted can count. To vacate or change a judgement varies according to locale. The best way is to go to the courthouse of the judgement and talk to the court clerk. Most will offer assistance and/or have self help sections where you can get appropriate paperwork to file motions to change the judgement. Some have indigent or low income assistance divisions depending on your situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Properly served [ 2 Answers ]

In Illinois what does "properly served" mean? Is regular mail, not certified, considered "properly served"?

Judgement Issued, Not Properly Served, What Can I Do Now? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California. I received a summons in a hand written envelope with no return address. The summons was dated April 3, and the envelope was post marked June 12th. The summons stated that I had 30 calendar days to reply to it. Since 30 calendar days had already gone by, and the summons was...

I have been divorced for 15 months my husband says he was never properly served [ 2 Answers ]

I have been divorced since January 17 2008 collecting alimony for 15 months taken directly out of his check December 18 2008 he filed papers to set aside default judgement due to non service January 15 2008 I received papers from a lawyer in West Virginia stating my ex went to his office with what...

What I properly served? What are my options? [ 37 Answers ]

Live in California. I was not properly served the summons and complaint. One of my creditor's gave a summons and complaint to my mother. On July 4. I received it from my mother. How should I fight this? I need buy as mush time as possible before filling bankruptcy unfortunately, my parents are...

View more questions Search