Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spark123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2011, 09:06 AM
    Tax
    Hi Everyone

I have a tax related question. I know this might have been answered. But please help me out since I didn't get proper answers in my search. The scenario is like this. I filed taxes online using turbotax for 2 years on my F1 student status and also I got returns from both state and fedral department. Now this is the third year I am going to file and I worked the entire year in OPT. Now my question is what can I do for the previous 2 years where I filed 1040 using turbotax and what to do now for this year? Do I have to file 1040NR form now or can I go with 1040 form itself online using turbotax??
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Mar 14, 2011, 05:17 PM
    On an F1 visa you are exempt from counting days for the substantial presence test for 5 year. That would mean you are a non-resident alien for 5 years (unless you change immigration status). You would have had to file a 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. You will need to amend your tax returns for the years you filed a 1040 form.You cannot use Turbotax as a non-resident alien

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1120: State income tax deductible in federal tax return for corp. [ 2 Answers ]

In our C Corp. we use the Accrual method of accounting. Nevertheless, in our past Federal Inc. tax returns, my accountant (actually, ex-accountant) has been deducting the State Inc. Taxes PAID in the FY, instead of the accrued tax. I want to start deducting the accrued tax, starting this FY's...

OPT Studentqith tax query! Forms?Tax Status?stimulus money? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I entered US in Aug 2006 and graduated in May 2008 with my masters degree. I am on OPT since July 2008- July 2009. Which form should I fill for taxes? Am I a NON- Resident for Tax purpose? Can I get education credits and stimulus money? Thanks Janki

How to get social securtiy tax and medicare tax back (J-1, sign tax treaty)? [ 1 Answers ]

I hold J-1 visa and am a researcher from China, and sign the tax treaty form. I can file tax forms to get federal and state fax back. But there are social securtiy tax withheld and medicare tax withheld over 1000 USD in total. Do I need to pay that or can I get them back and how? Thank you so...

Tax for F-1 visa on OPT with tax treaty, resident alien for tax purpose [ 2 Answers ]

HI--I have multiple "identities" with regard to tax: 1. I'm an F-1 visa holder 2. I'm on OPT from Sept.2007-Aug.2008 3. I have benefits of tax treaty, under which I can be exempted from federal taxes up to $5000 a year for wages, and unlimited amount for fellowship 4. I'm a resident alien for...

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

View more questions Search