Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmaverick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2011, 08:20 AM
    Two state residences married filing joint or separate?
    My wife and I have been living in two separate states due to our emplouyment situation. She lives and works in Ohio. I moved to Iowa from Ohio for work in December of 2009. We now own houses in both states now and maintain two residences. What is the best method for filing taxes both State and Federal? In the past we have always filed jointly until this situation.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 08:49 AM

You will probably still want to file as Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) for your federal return. As for the state returns:

1. For Ohio, you must file as MFJ if you file your federal as MFJ, and report all income (including yours). But you use Schedule D to take a credit for any non-OH source income (namely your wages). See instructions on page 15:
    http://tax.ohio.gov/documents/forms/...structions.pdf

2. For Iowa, you can file status 3 or 4, but you also need to report all income, aportioned between you and your wife. Take a credit for taxes on your wife's non-IA source income using form IA 126.

Don't be put off by having to report all your joint income to both states - because of the credits you end up paying taxes to each state only on the income attributable to that state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married filing jointly but separate for state [ 4 Answers ]

I am still legally married to my spouse who lives in FLA, but I am living in NC. We plan to file jointly for federal to get EITC, but each file in our own state for state taxes. How can we do this?

NY state filing "joint filing separate" [ 1 Answers ]

Have a client in NY state who is filing his taxes with me. He is filing married separate. He is taking the house and real estate deductions. Since its not a community property state, he doesn't have to claim 1/2 her income and she claim 1/2 his income, correct? He can just file his income and...

Married filing Joint vs. Separate if spouse in military [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is in the NAVY, and is based in San Diego. Last year he claimed his permanent address to be in the state of Nevada, because that is where his father lives. We married in Sept of last year. When it comes to filing taxes, if we file married, joint, do I just apply my income to the state...

Different state employees filing married jointly for federal but separate state tax? [ 1 Answers ]

We got married in Dec 06 month. We want to file federal tax 2007 married jointly. She lives in Alabama and I live in Wisconsin. I am a resident alien and she is not. For federal, I can apply 1040 R, jointly married. My question is whether we have to file state tax married jointly? If I file...

Married Filing Federal Joint State Separate [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married in Sept 2007, I work in NY and my wife works in NJ. We both presently live in NY. Before we were married my wife lived in NJ. I want to file my federal return jointly and my NY and NJ State return separate because of an increase in the return. Is that possible?

View more questions Search