Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    determine1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2011, 01:05 AM
    Is it normal for banks to take out federal taxes on savings accounts?
    I live in the US & recently opened a saving account & noticed on my statements that federal taxes are being withheld. Is it normal for these taxes to be withheld. I've had savings accounts in the past & never had taxes taken out, only interest paid on the money in the account.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 06:00 AM

When you opened the account they should have had you fill out and sign a W-9 form, on which you certify to the bank that they are not required to withhold taxes on your savings interest income. From IRS Pub 550 (see Publication 550 (2010), Investment Income and Expenses ):

Certification. For new accounts paying interest or dividends, you must certify under penalties of perjury that your SSN is correct and that you are not subject to backup withholding. Your payer will give you a Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, or similar form, to make this certification. If you fail to make this certification, backup withholding may begin immediately on your new account or investment.

You should contact the bank and ask for the form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banks from Missouri that are great with savings. [ 1 Answers ]

I living in Missouri and Lately I've been looking for a bank to start my saving, but I don’t know which bank would be in my best interest to start my savings. Another question I would like to add to that is do you need a lot of money to start a savings with a bank? For example if I wanted to start...

Looking for other banks accounts [ 2 Answers ]

How long will the creditor or lawyer look for other bank accounts, if A levy was placed on one bank account already?

Federal reserve banks [ 2 Answers ]

Who do the federal reserve banks do business with?

View more questions Search