Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mritchey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Can my Ex. Boyfriend claim our kids that we have together on his tax return?
    All right I have been with this man for 4 1/2 yrs and we have two children together. I am still living with this man because I don't have anywhere to go. All right I already understand that if we depend on him for over 6mnths or so that he can claim them. I don't have a job and he's taking care of me and the kids, so there's my answer-he can claim them!

Now he tells me that when he starts child support that he can claim them because he's paying child support. He's even saying that he can do this when I finally get a job and able to take care of them on my own. However they will be in my full custody and he will only be seeing them on his days off! All right that's only two days a week that he will be seeing them. Can he claim the kids if they are living with me full time?

Note- we haven't been to court and don't have anything done legally. This is his word against mine! However I will be able to prove that they live with me and so forth in the future hopefully this year. Can anyone shed some light for me on this one? Please help me!

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 06:14 PM

He is their legal father, they are living with him, of course he can claim them

When you don't live with him, who can claim the kids and which years is often covered in the custody agreement.
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Mar 13, 2011, 07:15 PM
    If and when the children live with you, you can claim them as dependents on your tax return. Period. Even if the father is paying child support. Again, if they are living with you for more than 6 months, the father can't file them as dependents, even if he is paying child support.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missk View Post
    If and when the children live with you, you can claim them as dependents on your tax return. Period. Even if the father is paying child support. Again, if they are living with you for more than 6 months, the father can't file them as dependents, even if he is paying child support.
    Not exactly, in many cases, in the custody agreements, parents have it as part of the agreement, that they take turns claiming the kids. So again, it will be up to the child custody agreement. If there is nothing in the agreement, the custody parent will claim
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Mar 13, 2011, 07:59 PM
    True, true. I wasn't thinking of that. I was just thinking of my own, and our agreement was very standard and we had no issues whatsoever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax law - Inherited stock and sold it - how do you claim it on tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Father passed away on 9/30/2008 - Inherited Stock on 1/27 09 and sold it the same day - how is it reported on schedule D

How to claim German tax treaty for US tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a German national but have become resident in the US because of the substantial presence test. Still, I think I should be able to claim the tax treaty on my scholarship payments, since I am here for less than 2 years. (I collected presence days from an earlier stay). The taxes have been...

Claim Dependents on tax return [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a residential alian for tax (indian citizen , H-1B) and planning to claim my wife who is a canadian citizen and staying with me since Oct 2008 on visitors visa. She moved here permanently and we are waitng for her TN visa sponsorers thus didn't move to H-4. Can I claim her as my...

Can I claim my sister kid 4 kids on tax return? If the lived withme? [ 1 Answers ]

If I have been supporting my sister's 4 kids for 12 months. Can I claim them as tax exemptions?

B1 visa but want to claim and return the tax [ 7 Answers ]

On year 2005, I came to USA as J1 work and travel program--so I got the SSN Then on 2006, I came to USA as B1/B2 (tourist visa) and work in USA And the problem is when I filled W-2 form (2006), I wrote EXEMPT on that form, and now they send me 1040NR-EZ and 1040NR form to fill and return to IRS...

View more questions Search