Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krutland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2011, 11:05 AM
    Does a washer need an air vent to stop drain overfill?
    Does a washer need an air vent to stop m drain overfill?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 12:15 PM

Your washer should drain to a tub or a stand pipe which is trapped and vented. You are not explaining your situation clearly so this is all I can address. Are you getting back ups or what?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 12:17 PM

Hi Krut...

I'm not clear here, but if I guess at your issue, I would say that yes, a washing machine drain line needs to have a plumbing vent associated with it, for sure.

However, if the drain is overflowing now but didn't before then most likely the drain line is clogged and needs to be snaked clear... vent or not, right?

Tell me more here. For example, what exactly is happening? How long has it been happening? What material are the drains made of, plastic or metal? And finally, is there a cleanout that is accessible on the drain line in question... ;)

Back to you...

Mark

Hi Bob (ballengerb1)...was writing as you posted! I see we are on the same page, for sure!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need a vent or AAV valve for a washer drain? [ 13 Answers ]

I've read a bunch of threads on problems people have with washing machine water backing up around the drain stack. In particular the posts by hkstroud and speedball1 have been very informative. I have a 1 1/2" pvc drain stack that is above the height of the washer. It also has a trap before...

New bath tub won't drain, air vent problem? [ 2 Answers ]

Our recently installed bathtub (plus shower) drains very slowly (you get about 3-4 inches of water during a fairly short shower). We've snaked it & poured zonk (way more powerful than draino) many times. It made little or no difference. The drain seems to drain just fine when there's only a bit of...

Faucet sprayer vs dish washer air vent [ 2 Answers ]

I want to replace the faucet for the kitchen sink. Ideally I would like dual handle, goose neck faucet and a sprayer. However, the hole where my sprayer would go contains the vent for my dishwasher and my disposal is also hooked up to this. Is this vent needed above the sink? Is there a way to...

Washer drain overflow - plumbing diagram - do I need additional air vent [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3" sewage pipe that runs from the basement floor to the roof. I cut about a foot of the sewage pipe and connected a 2" pvc pipe with 2" trap for the washer drain line. I am getting over flow from the stand pipe. There is no blockage of the sewage pipe. When I cut it open, it was...

View more questions Search