Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    indestructo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2011, 10:27 AM
    Mortgage foreclosure and taxes
    I have a fairly tricky situation. We foreclosed on a rental house in July last year. We had the house listed for under $30,000 for nearly all of 2010. The house is in one of the hardest hit areas effected by the recession. Box 4 on my 1099-A reports $98,000 for fair market value. I have also noticed that this value is now listed on the assessors information. It appears on the assessors information that the bank assumed ownership of the house through sheriff's deed for that FMV. Even if we put the $30-40,000 into the house to rehab it, we're still only looking at a FMV in the $70,000 range. One last detail, the house still isn't sold.

With my deductions my adjusted basis ends up around $84,000 with the amount in box 2 listed as $94,000. I've listed my gain as the FMV - adj basis. I've seen other information that says Box 2 - adj basis. What is the right way to go?

I also want to contest the FMV on the 1099 but my thought is that there may not be enough time. If I do have to go with FMV - adj basis, can I pull sales of comparable properties from July and use that as evidence that the FMV is much too high?

Thanks a bunch in advance! This has been plaguing my thoughts lately.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2011, 10:59 AM

I think I know what you are asking but I have a question. YOU foreclosed on a rental house. You held the mortgage?

Mar 13, 2011, 11:05 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Yes
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 13, 2011, 11:23 AM
    Are you possibly within the time limit for appealing the assessment?

Mar 13, 2011, 11:32 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Sorry that may have been confusing. Its not the assessment that is the problem. It's the fair market value. Could it be that they based the FMV on the assessment? I think I am well past the time limit to appeal the assessment that was released for the 2010 tax year. If I recall correctly, at the time I thought the assessment was fair at that point.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 13, 2011, 03:25 PM
    I can't answer about 1099 A instructions.
    They seem confusing to me.
    I do read on the IRS site that anyone who feels that their FMV is wrong should protest to the lender and reply to the IRS follow up questionnaire - (regarding sales that happen after you have paid tax, maybe?)
    I also see suggestions from people who say that a high FMV, if not a mistake, is revenge or spite. Why? Don't know, but you are an investor, not a homeowner. Or maybe someone just made it up because they didn't notice that you won't get an exemption.
    FMV is supposed to be based on comps, appraisal, and assessment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure help? Who has the mortgage? [ 0 Answers ]

In foreclosure in Miami. Original loan with Ameriquest, then assigned to Deutsche (recorded) then letters from Citi-Residential, now American Home Mortgage Servicing, Inc. Did Citi-Residential buy all of Ameriquest mortgages and notes? What happens if the foreclosure is still being processed for...

Mortgage in Foreclosure [ 8 Answers ]

My question is about my old house. It was foreclosed on in July 2008. On the information sent to me from the law firm representing the mortgage company, they want $136,000 out of the home. I had a second mortgage for $36,000. Now the second mortgage did not wait for them to sell the house....

Foreclosure new appraisal new mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

Someone told me there is a new law coming in October. If you are in mortgage default, then an appraiser will come out and appraise your property. Then you will have a new mortgage based on the new appraisal, which in my case and many others, will be substantially less than my original. And the...

Mortgage and Foreclosure [ 3 Answers ]

My question is about mortgage and foreclosure. Let's say for an example, individual A owns a single family home and he owes $200,000.00. He has first mortgage of $160,000.00 with Bank A and has home quity loan of $40,000.00 with Bank B. His current house value is $170,000.00. My question...

Mortgage foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

OK, I have been renting a home for the past two years. The homeowner has filed bankruptcy and the case was granted for the first and second mortgage. Now the 2nd mortgagor has filed foreclosure for 14K. Will the second mortgage be able to have the house sold if the foreclosure is granted? The...

View more questions Search