Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Mar 12, 2011, 09:21 PM
    Health Care Administration
    Wow, health care administration... I hope you can answer this for me. I had two opposite opinions from
    Eye doctors so I sought the best educated ophthalmologist I could find and after hours of reseach, found
    One. I made an appt. I was seen by a tech first, then another doctor (turned out to be a "fellow")
    Who examined me, diagnosed me and suggested aftercare. The doctor I had the appt with came into the
    Examining room for a total of three minutes... looked into my eyes and said she agreed with the doctor
    Who saw me. I said nothing (shocked maybe, chicken maybe) but after a few days I wrote a letter to
    Her. I said I knew it was a teaching hospital but so were my other doctors and no one switched
    Doctors on me. I should have had an option. She never wrote back to me. I was thinking of writing
    To the head of the department. Is what she did legal??
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 09:34 PM

Is what who did legal? I don't see anything wrong with this. The "fellow" most likely reported his/her findings to his/her attending. It was then that the attending came in to either agree with or correct the treatment.

You had the right to object to treatment from the "fellow" at your appointment. You didn't.

Mar 12, 2011, 09:39 PM
    I didn't because she said Dr. so and so would be in very soon. Every time she did something, she
    Said the doctor will be in any minute... when she did come in, it was at the end of everything.
    I'm kind of thinking of calling the state to find out if this practice is legal... esp not telling
    The patient who traveled 27 miles for one specific doctor.
    Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 09:41 PM

Yes, it's legal. Unethical not to tell you that it was virtually a student working on you, but legal, yes.

Mar 13, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Thank you for getting back to me. I think a patient has a right to know that the person they made the appointment
    With would be the one who spends fifteen minutes examining the patient and making a dx and that three minutes of an experts time does not make for the whole picture.
    Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 03:38 PM

That person WAS a doctor. Just not your doctor. Once they graduate, they are doctors. They still have to do some training though.

Mar 26, 2011, 08:10 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    I sent for my records. This "fellow" made mistakes... i.e. said I had no allergies... she never asked me; I have tons of them... put down normal in another category when obviously when I told her what meds I was on she had to know
    They were endocrine related... she marked everything no or normal. I never got a response for the letter I wrote to the docotor. I may write to the chief of services... not because he'll change anything, but let him know how a patient feels...
    Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 08:24 PM

That might be a good idea.

Mar 26, 2011, 09:17 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Thanks again for getting back to me. I also posted what happened on a website that patients write about their experiences with their doctors... this way, when someone looks her up, they will be forewarned.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 06:42 AM

In larger groups, you often don't always see "YOUR" doctor, but they are free to have other doctors see you instead

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Health and social care - hazards in health & social care settings [ 10 Answers ]

Explain the potential hazards in health and social care settings, you should include: 1. hazards: e.g. from workinh environment, working condition, poor staffing training, poor working practices, equipment, substance etc. 2. working environment: e.g. within an organisation's premises 3....

Health care administration and being a felon [ 3 Answers ]

Can I work as a health care administrator even though I am a felon?

Master in health care administration [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a gdaruate in commerce . Then I did diploma in ganeral nursing & midwifery . Right now I am doing NVQ level 4 in health &social care in london . I wanted to do masters in health care adminisration or masters in hospital administration in Australia or in the UK. Please help me .

View more questions Search