Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pologenius21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 03:15 PM
    Was I rightfully denied my 401k?
    Can Prudential deny me rights to access my 401k? I am no longer employed with my former company and would like to cash out, not rollover, my 401k. They always tell me that because of the economic downfall the $200,000+ I had worked hard to save is not available. Isn't there an amendment or some kind of law protecting my money like FDIC or something? Please help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 06:35 PM

How did you have your money invested, if it was invested in many areas, it is very possible that 1/2 or more can be gone

over the past 3 years, my own investments lost over 1/3 of their value.

But it all depends on the way you invested it, ( how you picked where the money would go)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2011, 09:51 PM

Any monies you deposit in a 401K are yours. You may, however, lose company contributions if they were not vested when you terminated. However, if you terminate, you have the right to request a distribution of the current value. What did your most recent statement show the value as? What does Prudential say the value is?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 07:37 AM

Can you please give us more info

If you had 200,000 a few years ago, it is possible that it is only 100,000 or 140,000 or so today ( or even less if you had it invested in higher risk stocks)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k hardship loan or closeout if denied [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get a hardship loan to pay for my daughters rental expenses food, utilities and transportation since she is in college. They are telling me that these do not qualify under post secondary education related expenses. Is this true? And if it is can io close out my 401k immediately...

Can I rightfully get what's mine when I'm 18? [ 1 Answers ]

I know about child support and the various circumstances and what not that come into play, but is there any moralism in court? My father has been pretty much INACTIVE totally in any financial matters regarding my well-being for my childhood. As a university student am I able to get a lawyer and...

To whom does the property rightfully belong? [ 14 Answers ]

As the history of this property is quite protracted, I will try to briefly lay out facts and minimal details. 2001 - my mother files for divorce, moves out of the dwelling she shared with her spouse. - she enlists my aid in purchasing the property across the street from mine as she is...

Et rightfully points out: there was a time that Arabic. [ 3 Answers ]

: there was a time that Arabic (more than Latin) was the language of science and philosophy. And then, for some reason, the Muslim community seemed to take a huge step backward. I began to explore the reasons when I ran across an article that appears to answer the question. “From 800 AD to...

Being rightfully religious; feeling guilty [ 5 Answers ]

How can I apologize to God?

View more questions Search