Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2011, 03:02 PM
    Cyote hunting with dogs?
    Just wondering if there is anyone one this site who hunts cyotes with dogs. I'm wanting to learn a little bit more and possibly get my dog started, but I'd rather talk one-on-one with someone who has done it or does it.
    Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 03:15 PM

After reading all your posts about loving and rescuing and caring for animals, I'm curious as to why you would want to hunt coyotes.
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2011, 03:40 PM

I have it mentioned in the other thread about hunter, but I'll explain it a little better here just in case someone reads this and thinks like you did.

I've been going hunting since I was 4 years old, been shooting since I was 12. For me it isn't the actual killing of the animal that gives me the rush. It's everything else. Tracking the deer/moose/elk/bear, finding out where they are, waking up at 4 am to go find a place to sit, sitting in the forest waiting, you just never know when you'll see the animal. I love it... I also get to spend time with my dad, whom I don't see much.

As pointed out in another thread, Hunter is a hunting dog, and it is illegal where I live to use dogs for big game hunting (which would be moose, bear, elk, etc). Hunter already has a great nose on him and the need to do something. I was going to train him to be a retriever but a lot of people pointed out I can't wait till summer to train him (And it would have to be summer for him to be a retriever), so I researched a little and found out that fox hounds can be used to hunt coyotes in Canada.

Where I live coyotes are a very big pest, they are killing a lot of livestock, and are not afraid of humans anymore. When I was younger I remember not having to worry about coyotes while hunting, they'd run when they heard you, now, they walk right up like there trained pets. This is dangerous!

There also killing many deer and have decreased the population a lot, soon, there will be very little deer, which means very little for them to eat. If they have nothing to eat, well they'll be hungry, and there already not afraid of humans, so they will start attacking humans.

I do love animals, with all my heart, but hunting is a way to make sure the popualtion stays level, if not, animals will be dying of starvation, disease (which can spread to humans), and will eventually start fighting for space a lot more than they do, which will send them into towns/cities, where they have a very high risk of being injured by a car. Personally, I'd rather die quickly with a bullet to a vidal, than sit there and starve to death. Also, we never waste any meat!

I hope that answers you question :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 03:43 PM

Also, we never waste any meat!
    Okay, I have to ask. You eat the coyote meat?:eek:
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2011, 03:46 PM

Haha. Sorry no, the meat from the deer/moose/elk/bear.

I guess I lied , we don't eat all the meat, definantly not coyote... but I hear some people do :eek:

--But my dads friends cats love cyote meat (which is weird you think they;d stay away), so usually the cats get it.. so it isn't totally wasted.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2011, 05:16 PM

Emily94, I don't know of anyone that uses dogs to hunt coyotes, most use distress calls and traps, depending on the season. Good luck
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2011, 05:50 PM

Yes, we have calls that we use. But now that I have a hound, and he is bored, I was wanting to look into hunting with him. He wouldn't be the one to kill it, I feel that is cruel, but he would track it and corner it...

I was also looking into rabbit, but since they can run very far, it is unlikely that my dog could chase it to tire it out...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 05:55 PM

Dogs and coyotes are both canines, from the same family. Somehow that doesn't seem fair to make Hunter track and corner one of his own kind. I'm hoping he'll refuse. Just sayin'.
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2011, 06:05 PM

I agree that there the same species. BUT, if you go and read my post "Hunter is misbehaving", you will understand why he needs to go do something. Since I hunt cyotes, I was hoping hunter could accompany me. My old dog Tosha used to kill cyotes and bring them back to me, like a cat and mice. She enjoyed doing it, as she would do it without ever being taught or told. We could never take her hunting though because she hated gun fire and would take off for miles...

Im hoping that we can find hunter something he likes doing, just like Tosha and cyotes, so Im going to start there, if he doesn't enjoy it I might move to rabbits, pheasents, prairie chickens, etc..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 06:09 PM

I agree that Hunter needs a job, needs work to do. Aren't rabbits very common? They move quickly and need a hunter fast on his feet and with a good nose. Rabbit stew is very tasty. I vote for rabbit.
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2011, 08:50 PM

The only problem is... Rabbits will run and run and run and run, and Hunter will give up before they do (or hunter will pass out chasing them and be in the woods unable to be found), where with coyotes Hunter could actually find it... And it is really easy to get land to hunt cyotes on, but no really rabbits...

Im looking in to a GPS collar, that way I can let him go and always be able to find him, but there a bit pricey!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hunting [ 6 Answers ]

Why do hunters wear bright orange to keep from getting shot at when most of their target practice is done on bright orange target stickers?

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Gone Hunting! [ 2 Answers ]

Gone hunting! Saturday morning I got up early, put on my long johns, dressed quietly, made my lunch, grabbed my shotgun and the dog, slipped quietly into the garage to load the truck, and proceeded to back out into a torrential downpour. There was snow mixed with the rain, and the wind was...

Search and Rescue/Hunting Training for Dogs [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working in the dog business for sometime now, but I really want to advance my knowledge in the field and get into doing search and rescue, as well as hunting and tracking for dogs. Does anyone know where I can go about finding a correspondance school that teaches this? I can't afford to...

View more questions Search