Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rahulrd14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Tax residency
    Dear All, This is a great forum.. and I hope that someone can please solve my dilemma. I am an Indian national on J1 Visa in the US. However, I have never paid taxes in India. I did my PhD and was working in Germany for 7 years paying taxes there. Is my tax residency Germany or is it India? Because if I claim it to be India, the two years tax treaty becomes retroactive while for Germany it does not.
    bine2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2011, 10:49 PM
    Germany would be your country of tax residency if you lived there before coming to the US. You can cliam the treaty with Germany. Just be prepared to proof your residency in Germany.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 09:53 PM

I am not sure. It should depend upon your passport citizenship. You should ask AtlantaTaxExpert.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nationality vs Tax residency [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, This is a great forum.. and I hope that someone can please solve my dilemma. I am an Indian national on J1 Visa in the US. However, I have never paid taxes in India. I did my PhD and was working in Germany for 7 years paying taxes there. Is my tax residency Germany or is it India?...

What tax residency am I? FT home in KY, apartment for work in OH. Residency? [ 1 Answers ]

For Federal and State tax filing, I would like help determining residency status. I own a home in KY with my wife where she lives full time with my kids. I started a job on 1/3/10 in OH where I rent an apartment and stay during the work week. I return to my KY home for weekends, some extended...

California Tax Residency [ 2 Answers ]

We file MFJ for both Federal and State. In Nov 08, both me and my wife lost our jobs in Los Angeles. Both of us found new jobs in March 09, but not in LA. My job was in Boston and my wife's in Northern CA. In view of the tight job market, we decided to move to different places rather than wait - me...

L1 Tax Residency 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. H&R Block have prepared our tax return for 2007 but believe we should file as married filing separatly as we are non-residents because we are on an L Visa - My husband is on an L1 and I am on L2. We entered the country on 18th Sept 2006 and left on 4th Jan 2007. We both worked for the full...

H4 To F1 - Tax Residency Status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was under H4 from 1999 to early 2007. In Mid 2007, I switched to F1. I received a Tax ID number while I was under H4. Now, my question is am I considered a resident for tax purposes for the year 2007? What about next year? My current status is F1. Thanks

View more questions Search