Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madison25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2011, 10:35 AM
    Married filing jointly but separate for state
    I am still legally married to my spouse who lives in FLA, but I am living in NC. We plan to file jointly for federal to get EITC, but each file in our own state for state taxes. How can we do this?
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Mar 11, 2011, 11:43 AM
    After you prepare your federal return, you need to prepare a schedule breaking down your income, deductions, etc. between yourself and your spouse so you arrive at federal taxable income for each of you (the combined totals should agree with the federal return). Carry that taxable income to the NC return and prepare the return as married, filing separately. It is a little confusing so be careful.
    madison25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Comment on MLSNC's post
    Thanks. Do you know of any links/websites that may be helpful so we are sure to do it correctly?
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Mar 12, 2011, 08:19 PM
    If you don't have the instructions, you can get them on the NC Dept of Revenue website.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 12:20 PM

The instructions are here:

http://www.dornc.com/downloads/D401.pdf

Note that on page 4 it says that if your spouse is not a NC resident and has no NC income you may file as married filing separately even though you file jointly for your federal return. But you must provide a breakdown of your income versus your spouse's, as MLSNC noted previously.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can we choose "Married filing separate" after we filed federal return jointly? [ 2 Answers ]

Our situation is as follows: 1. I (h-1b) lived and worked in VA in2009. 2. My wife (F-1) lived and worked in MO in 2009. We jointly filed federal return for 2009. But we are not sure if we can choose "Married filing separate" when filing state tax return. We called MO dept of taxation and...

Notsureweathertofileas:Marriedcouplefiling jointlyorseparate? [ 2 Answers ]

I married my husband this year 2009. he has been in the Us for about 9 months now. We are waiting on immigration paperwork for him to become a resident. In the mean while he hasn't worked and has no income. My question is should i file jointly or file separately and claim him as a dependent. We do n...

Married filing separate or jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was married in June and am filing taxes with another for the first time. Here's the question. We want to file jointly on the federal form and separately on the state forms. I live in MA, his primary residence is in VT. Can we do this? Do we use the 2 addresses on the federal form? Or...

Different state employees filing married jointly for federal but separate state tax? [ 1 Answers ]

We got married in Dec 06 month. We want to file federal tax 2007 married jointly. She lives in Alabama and I live in Wisconsin. I am a resident alien and she is not. For federal, I can apply 1040 R, jointly married. My question is whether we have to file state tax married jointly? If I file...

Married Filing Federal Joint State Separate [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married in Sept 2007, I work in NY and my wife works in NJ. We both presently live in NY. Before we were married my wife lived in NJ. I want to file my federal return jointly and my NY and NJ State return separate because of an increase in the return. Is that possible?

View more questions Search