Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bawi80 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2011, 07:20 AM
    Left the US permanently - tax bill after 6 years
    I was working in the US on a H1B visa. I left the US permanently in 2004 and returned to my home country. There was a error in my 2004 tax filing and I had underpaid by 200$. Am I responsible for paying interest on the amount from 2004 to 2011 even though no tax bill was sent to me by the tax department until now ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2011, 08:06 AM

Yes... unfortunately that's how it works. I've been hit twice for long past returns... but luckily was able to prove everything both times and owed nothing. But had there actually been an amount owed, as you found out... you owe it and interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband of 18 years left me for my girlfirend of 35 years how do I cope? [ 3 Answers ]

We have 4 teenage children. She came to visit and they moved out together on April 14th 2009. I have been to counseling for 2 years. It is still so hard to grasp what my husband and my childhood girlfriend did.

Left states at 9 years old do I need to pay tax [ 3 Answers ]

I immigrated to Europe Malta when I was 9 years old that wS 21 years ago now. I never worked in the states I am planning in moving back to states in October. Am I exempt in filing tax returns?

Does Tax Levy apply to H1B visa holder left US for 3 years? [ 1 Answers ]

I was a F-1/H1-B visa holder stayed in the US during 1995 to 2005. I left US for good at the beginning of 2005 and paid taxes up to 2004. I left my checking and saving accounts open there for various of purposes, with about 1,500 USD in it. On Oct. 2008, I found all the money were withdrawn under...

View more questions Search