Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nunu231 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2011, 06:17 PM
    Out of state tax ? We just got an offer on a propertie we owne in Ga. We live in Nv.
    Our real estate agent said that we need to pay 3% of the sale price , as out of the state tax.
    We reside in Nevada , is that correct
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 07:28 PM

To whom ? I am a real estate agent, ( although I use it for purchase and sale of mostly my own property) and I have never heard of this in Georgia. There is tax to pay on capital gains of the property

When is this suppose to be paid, who are they paying it to.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 05:52 AM

GA does have a real estate transfer tax, which is normally paid by the seller, but the rate is 0.1%. As Fr_Chuck noted, your agent may be thinking about your income tax filing for GA. If you have capital gains in the property you will have to file a non-resident income tax return and pay income taxes on the gain. The tax rate in GA is about 5%, not 3%. I suggest you talk to your agent and get more details as to what he's talking about.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Mar 11, 2011, 07:34 AM
    Over the years the states have realized a lot of real property sales were not being reported by nonresidents. To correct this some states require income taxes to be withheld at the time of the sale. I think you will find out that is what this is. When you file the nonresident Ga. Return to report the sale you will then show the withheld taxes as a credit on the Georgia return and pay the difference or receive a refund.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 01:30 PM

Yes I will agree, it may be a income tax on the gains.

But again, make sure you have an attorney do the closing for here in GA. And as seller, you should be having one that is working for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on banking interest but live outside the state with the accnt? [ 4 Answers ]

I want to open a bank account and a CD in another state. How do I find out if I owe income tax to that state? Also, at some point I will move out of the usa (I am a US citizen). Besides Fed income tax, which you have to pay no matter where you live in the world, will I have to pay state income...

Owe NY State Tax even though worked in NYC/Live in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to amend my NY State taxes because they are being rejected - for 2008 I worked in NJ through November then received unemployment from the end of November through December. I live in NJ. I know IT-203 is the non-resident form to fill out - but why in the world is the tax form coming...

Live in NJ Paid NY State Tax - Law for Refund from NY [ 1 Answers ]

Live in NJ worked a couple months in NY when filing our 2004 taxes with Turbo Tax I had to do a separate form for NY. NY returned all state taxes my husband paid and I claimed them on my NJ/Federal forms. Now, NY is saying I owe them most of the money back because the earned income had to match...

Employer in VA, I Live in NH which State Tax should be Withheld and filed for? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for and receive salary from, a company based in VA. I work in Boston, MA at the location of a Client of my employer. I live in NH and commute to MA. Which State Tax my employer should withheld and Where should I file my Tax Returns? Is it VA because the source of Salary is from VA based...

View more questions Search