Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffreyhavelow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2011, 09:51 AM
    Reduction of charges when other states guideline are different
    Sentence to 10 year on drug charge an have done 3 yrs,can they go to court in the state they transferrred to an get a reduction.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 10:29 AM

The convict was "transfered" to another state? What do you mean? The sentencing state is having the prisoner incarcerated in another state? No, that doesn't effect the sentence.
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Mar 22, 2011, 08:27 PM
    Hi Jeff,

I think we need more information and a little clearer idea of what the facts are. What is the jurisdiction (Federal or State, if so which one)?

Are we talking about incarceration or probation?

As a general rule, you can appeal the sentence, but there are strict statute of limitation restrictions and procedural requirements to do that (all jurisdiction specific).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2011, 03:30 AM

Hello j:

You MUST be talking about probation or parole. States don't transfer convicts. Your sentence is based on the laws of the state where you were convicted, and it won't change.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2011, 04:20 AM

Agree with excon, if this was Federal Court, then Federal laws apply not state.

If you were convicted in state court, only the supervision of your parole is transferred not the courts jurisdictioin, any appeal or any other change in sentence still goes to the state where the court action was done.

So no, the new state laws do not apply if you transfer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you file a motion for sentence reduction on state charges [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was charges with distribution of 4 grams of cocaine. He was sentenced to 4 years in state. He offered to help in any way possible to get a reduced sentence. I myself offered to help the vasp bring down some heavy drug pushers on behalf of my husband to get a reduced sentence but the...

The accounting guideline that requires financial statement information to be supporte [ 1 Answers ]

The accounting guideline that requires financial statement information to be supported by independent, unbiased evidence other than someone's belief or opinion is the: A business entity principle. B monetary unit principle. C going-concern principle. D objectivity principle.

Can old evidence be used for new charges when the original charges were dismissed [ 5 Answers ]

Charges were dismissed because evidence for the charges was false. Can new charges alleging a different related crime be filed using the old evidence?

Criminal Charges in Two Different states [ 1 Answers ]

Hello my cousin received 3 years probation in Alabama for a publix intoxication charge in Alabama and is set to stand trial in a couple of weeks for a DUI charge that occurred within one week of the Public Intox case also in Alabama. He no longer resides in Alabame and the issue is that he has...

Maryland sentencing guideline [ 6 Answers ]

If a sentencing guideline worksheet has 3 offenses for 1 event For the 1 st offense there is nothing mention for the serious category ( charge wa poss w.int of cocaine ) but under the guide line range the 1st offense held 1 year to 3 years But the actual sentence given was 15 years ss/...

View more questions Search