Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crw1116 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 02:38 PM
    1 PC on a personal and business network simultaneously
    I work for a company that disallows the addition of software to the Windows 2000 PCs it provides to its associates. The company is also quite limited in its leverage of technology at this point and I wanted the ability to scan all documentation into electronic files for all of ym customers. So, a few years ago, I added a Windows XP Pro PC to the company's DHCP network. This PC is connected to the company's network by wired ethernet and to my personal office network wirelessly (via a Lynksis USB network adapter). This PC houses my document scanning software, all electronic files used by my office, and it is also used as a print server to share network printers that are connected to the company network with laptops (running Windows XP) that are wirelessly connected only to my personal network. This gives me the ability to scan all documents into individual customer files and still have access to these documents through the company PCs without having to install client software on the company PCs (which I am unable to do). This also makes printing to all printers in the office possible from all PCs in the office, company-owned or otherwise.

For some time now, I have been having a problem whereby the wireless network connection on the Windows XP Pro PC will somehow disconnect or otherwise stop working. Regularly throughout the day, I attempt to print from my personal laptop (which is wirelessly connected to my personal network) to the shared printer connection on the Windows XP Pro PC only to get an error message that the printer cannot be found. I have to go to the Windows XP Pro PC, disable the wireless connection, and re-enable the wireless connection before I am able to print. This fix usually works for an hour or so, then I end up having to disable and re-enable the wireless connection again. I have tried changing the IP lease time on the wireless network to different settings thinking that the problem was that the lease was expiring during the day but this does not help.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and how to fix it? I've thought about replacing the USB wireless network adapter with another hard-wired network adapter and connecting the Windows XP Pro PC to my personal network by wire rather than wireless but I don't want to do this unless it will help.

Help! :confused:
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jan 22, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Wireless is notoriously unreliable, primarily due to interference. For critical business access I say run an ethernet line.

P2E

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faucet and shower run simultaneously [ 12 Answers ]

In remodeling my bathroom I installed a tub with enclosure and a Price Pfister single handle control valve replacing a three handle. The shower head is 44" from the valve and the faucet is 6". I am concerned these distances will not work with the new valve. What options do I have to correct the...

Personal debt settlement but have sole propritor of business [ 2 Answers ]

Being overwhelmed with personal credit card debt and going to debt settlement effect myself owned business?:confused:

Applying H1B and H4 visa simultaneously [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm currently working in US. Need to apply H4 dependent visa for my spouse. Her H1B working visa has already been initiated. 1) When can she initiate H4 in this situation i.e. after getting the H1B petition or after H1B visa stamping is done? 2) If she can initiate H4 after...

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

View more questions Search