Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    Im trying to do what he needs to do
    Hunting coyotes is NOT what he needs to do. As Lucky explained, that's not in his breeding to do. The world needs more search and rescue dogs. THAT is what he needs to do.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    That would be Alty
    Lucky too, post #35.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098
    ITS NOT HIS BREED CHARACTERISTICS! He is going to retrieve for you now because he is a PUPPY and is chasing something that seems like fun. He has no other distractions and has nothing better to do. Hounds are not know for retrieving. They smell things, and smell things very well. Why not train him for search and rescue? That is something he would be good at.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 11:47 AM

Emily how can you not see the danger? You have all ready mentioned injuries to other dogs in this hunting party. If you all ready know a group of 20 people that you will be hunting with why are you not asking them for training tips?
    I can see others point of view.. what will you do when the coyote is 100 yards away and starts fighting with Hunter? Shoot it? Umm you run the risk of killing Hunter.
    I was unsure of the risks involving Hunter until your post. Once I read that post all I noticed was risks of injury and death to your dog.
    I know it is your dog and your choice but think this through completely. Are you prepared financially and emotionally if he is hurt while hunting?

Susan
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 12:00 PM

He can't go into search and rescue, they need to be trained professionally and go into training at 3 months, to late for hunter. My grandpa looked into it with his dog. Also, have any of you researched cyote hunting with hounds?

Foxhounds ARE bred for this, they ARE used for this. Also, Hunter wouldn't be 100 yards away, he wouldn't need to be, the cyotes aren't scared so he won't have to go track them down at 100 yards, he would need to flush them out. And remember he would be on a leash!

Fine, I won't hunt cyotes. Now what do I do with him? I already told you everything he can't hunt, so now, what can he? What do you guys suggest I do with a hunting hound who I can't take hunting, but you guys told me to, and then told me not to. Honestly, tell me your next suggestions, I took your advise like everyone told me to. I found something I could do with him, and again I get lectured for doing what I was told... but I get lectured if I don't.. hmm.

Well suggestions?

There are risks with anything! The coon could be rabid, the rabbit could turn around and attack, rabbits kicks could break his ribs (Yes I reasearched it), which could end up with a punctured lung, but you know this is safer than cyotes.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 12:14 PM

Why do I often read about search-and-rescue dogs that were mutts rescued from a shelter and then trained?
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 12:19 PM

I don't know, but my grandpa is a firefighter, and thought that his collie/lab who was rescued could be a rescue dog. He talked to come people, and the dog needed to be trained at 3 months old and be trained by one of there certified instructurs.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    I dont know, but my grandpa is a firefighter, and thought that his collie/lab who was rescued could be a rescue dog. He talked to come people, and the dog needed to be trained at 3 months old and be trained by one of there certified instructurs.
    Hunter is a different breed for which search and rescue would come naturally. For a collie/lab, search and rescue doesn't come naturally. Such a mix would need far more patient and intensive training from puppyhood on.

Please make some calls during the week.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 12:25 PM

Choose a dog that is in good physical condition with an easy temperament. Most people prefer to start training with a puppy, but older dogs can also be trained.

Read more: How to Train a Search and Rescue Dog | eHow.com How to Train a Search and Rescue Dog | eHow.com

GENERAL PREREQUISITES
    Before commencing formal water search training (detecting scent from under water), it is assumed that the handler has worked and knows the principles of area search on land, because the principles are the same in water search. For instance, the handler must be able to:

Plan an appropriate search strategy (such as grid, perimeter, hasty)
    Work down wind of the area to be searched
    Be curious and aware of the horizontal and vertical wind patterns that might be expected in various conditions
    Be clue conscious
    Know his dog's body language
    Know her own and her dog's limitations and
    Use good handler safety practices (don't become part of the search problem!! )
    It is assumed that the dog is eagerly finding people on land both in training and on search mis
    HOW TO DEVELOP AND TRAIN A WATER SEARCH DOG TEAM
    Didn't mention HAD to be a certain age.

This site here also has no mention of age limitations.

Rescue Dogs - Canada's Guide to Dogs
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 12:26 PM

They said all dogs.
    Not just my grandfathers.
    Also, me and Hunter would need to travel when they needed us, please don't forget I still have school as well as I am getting a job here shortly.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 03:09 PM

Emily, you dropped out of school for your dog. So the travel excuse is a lame one.

Dogs are being trained for search and rescue all the time. You would not sent him off to a training facility, but would be training him yourself. The dogs that are sent to a trainer for search and rescue are bred into that life. I have met many people who do search and rescue with their dogs. Hunter is not too old. He is a perfect age right now to learn how to use his nose. Search and Rescue is not a 24/7 job with your dog. They call you when they need you, and depending on how good he is, will depend on how many times you will be called.

I still suggested agility with him. Agility can be as hard as you want it to be. It doesn't require you to go outside and it doesn't require you to wait for a season to change before you can work with him. Its will keep his mind focused on something and will also exercise his body. You could join the kennel club and participate in the hound runs. He is a mix, but I'm sure you can still register him with the CKC and participate in those events. The only thing you can't do is breed shows. There would be guidance from the CKC and controlled set ups for him to learn how to use his nose.

And no, foxhounds (by themselves) were not bred to hunt coyotes. NO dog was bred to hunt coyotes.. but the bigger dogs and dogs that are a bit more aggressive by nature are the ones who hunt coyotes.. Not a 50lb foxhound mix that doesn't want to get his toes cold/wet and has aggression issues.

You have any idea how retarded you sound though? You're willing to purchase a $500-$800 tracking collar, but won't spend the money on training him to be a search and rescue dog (or any type of trianing for that matter). The only thing a tracking collar is going to do is tell you where he is, it won't bring him back if he runs off. I just don't understand what you want from this dog. He is more then what you can handle, its very obvious.. but you're also not treating him the way he needs to be treated. American Foxhounds are dogs that would rather be with a pack then with people. Yes, they can live with people, but they are high energy and need stimulation. You are giving your best for him, but you're not really thinking of him. You are taking him on walks, and maybe a jog and that is it. You claim he is well trained, but yet he is being obnoxious in the houes. You contridict yourself so much.

I don't think you can handle this dog. He is only 6 months old.. He is only going to get more energetic.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 03:34 PM

So many things to say, I hope I don't forget anything.

1. I don't know who your grandfather talked to, if anyone, but they're wrong, and they gave totally bogus information. Rescue dogs do not have to start training at 3 months of age. Many rescue dogs are shelter rescues that were already a few years old when they started their training. They are certified.

2. Yes, we told you to work Hunter. We never said that he should become a hunter, we only told you that if that's what you wanted him to become, you had to start now. I gave you many suggestions on what to do to fulfill his breed, but you choose coyote hunting? That's not even in the scope of any of the suggestions we made.

3. Hunter's breed is not used to hunt coyotes. You said you did research, I want to see it. Post the links, or the titles of the books you've researched, all in a day, because I've never heard of a foxhound being bred to hunt coyotes. They're not the right temperament, size, or skill set to do this.

Emily, in the end you're going to do what you want, that much is clear. It's also clear that you're not really here for advice, you just want to vent, or whine about Hunter, but you're not willing to do what's right by him. I'm tired of it, I know many of us are.

Why do you keep starting new threads when you're really not looking for, or willing to follow, any of the advice given by the dog experts?

Considering all of the threads you've started with all of the issues you've had, it's very clear to everyone that you don't know what you're doing when it comes to your dogs, yet you refuse to listen to those of us that do know what we're doing. :(
    Dogs Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 04:46 PM

Emily, I am going to end my my suggestions to you with this, do what you want with Hunter, after all he's your dog right? You want to use Hunter as a coyote dog, go for it! We've suggested to you all kinds of different activities that you can do with him, but you shoot them down. First your dog starts being aggressive to other dogs, then he is only aggressive with certain dogs, and then 3 days later, he is magically cured of his aggression issues. You say you have researched your breed, but can't figure out why he is being so destructive, we give you more suggestions, but your dog won't wear a coat and it's too cold out to do any proper training. You say he has excellent recall, retrieve and release skills, but you can't seem to under stand why your HOUND is bored in the house and picking up every random object and won't give it back.

I'll save you my opinions as to why I think hunting coyotes is wrong, we will never adhere to each others opinions, but I will tell you that I am well aware that wild dogs will eat family pets, but I am also very familiar with their hunting practices. Don't leave your pets out un attended at night. Simple. I live across from a HUGE field were the dogs love to hunt deer and other small animals, my dogs have NEVER been attacked. Letting your brother pet and play with these animals is asking for trouble, because when they do attack him, and they will, it's only a matter of time, it's the dogs who are doing what their WILD INSTINCT is telling them to do, that will be hunted and slaughtered.

Yes your breed CAN be used as coyote hunting, but Emily, you don't have the control over Hunter that these dogs have and need to excel and stay safe. Your dog will get eaten faster then a wild rabbit after a hard winter. But I am sure you will come back with some reply how Hunter is smarter then average dog, and knows how to stay out of trouble. A retractable leash isn't going to help him against a wild dog. Maybe if you wanted to use him as bait... I'm taped out. I'll end with this, your dog is bored, he needs to be worked more then you are willing to do. A simple walk around the block is NOT going to cut it. He needs off leash time in an appropriate area, where you can easily gain control. Like a fenced in area. And he needs to be able to run full blast for longer then 20 min. This is one of the main reasons that hounds, terriers and husky's end up in the shelter, people don't realize how high strung and how high maintenance these dogs are. It's a good 10 year commitment, and most people aren't willing to sacrifice their time.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 05:25 PM

Um..
    You all told me to get Hunter out to use his nose, when I decided to do this, Im a bad owner.. honestly, you guys need to make up your mind, you find something to pick at. I am doing exactly what you told me, getting hunter out so he can use his nose, but that makes me bad? By the way, were not sure he is foxhound, we just know he is some sort of hound, either harrier/foxhound/or a mix.

Foxhounds

"In France, the USA and some other countries, hounds (including some breeds related to foxhounds) are used to hunt foxes, deer, wild boar, coyote and/or several other mammals."

Here is a personal story about someone using them

Coyote keeps hounds on run | StarTribune.com

PLEASE Don't CLICK IF YOU Don't Want to SEE THE HOUNDS HUNTING!

Here is a video of a fox hound hunting cyotes

YouTube - Coyote #27 Hunt with Hounds

Here is another, if you look there are foxhounds in that group.

YouTube - Beagles Chase Coyote

Here it's a bear, the last one in the pack is a foxhound or harrier
    YouTube - West Virginia Bear hunting with hounds

Videos or worth more than words. PEOPLE DO HUNT WITH THESE DOGS.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 05:30 PM

When did we say getting him to use his nose was a bad idea?? NEVER did we say that. In fact Alty gave you suggestions on how to SAFELY do so! We just all agreed, your dog is probably not suited for coyote hunting. Simple as that. But in the end, do what ever you want. Just don't come cryingg to us, when he does get attacked or mauled. Make no mistakes Emily, we want Hunter to excel, all of us here know what his stats would be if he became another shelter dog, we want only the best for him. We just think you need to try obedience, agility and maybe behav mod with the $600-$800 you are willing to spend on tracking collar.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 05:34 PM

"I;ll end with this, your dog is bored, he needs to be worked more then you are willing to do. A simple walk around the block is NOT going to cut it. He needs off leash time in an appropriate area, where you can easily gain control. Like a fenced in area. And he needs to be able to run full blast for longer then 20 min"

I'm TRYING to work him! Im just getting shot down, Sorry I don't have access to a field in winter, I never knew owning a field was necessary for owning a dog. I could run him down the gravel road, his feet won't freeze there, oh wait, there's cars.You ALL told me to work him, he needs to use his nose, and now Im getting told BAD BAD BAD, agility is the way to go! How does he use his nose for agility?
    Dogs Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 05:36 PM

It doesn't have to be a field. I thought Hunter was excellent while at the dog park?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Those links show PACKS of dogs hunting coyotes. Would that be the case if you do so with Hunter? I got the impression from this thread that he would be the only dog trained to track coyotes, and you would hunt alone with him.
    Ultra Member

Also bella,

I am not the only one paying for that tracking collar, my dad is offering to pay. Why? Because he wants a hunting hound.

My dad isn't going to pay for Hunter to go to classes when he knows it, it's a waste of money. He is bored, I agree, that's why I want to take him hunting, because HE WAS BRED TO HUNT!
    Dogs Expert

And we're saying BAD BAD BAD to the coyote hunting idea, if you want to use him as a bird dog, give 'er! Just make sure you find out the proper way to use his breed for hunting.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 05:37 PM

Do what you do Emily.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Cat might be misbehaving, is it because he is lonely? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so my boyfriend brought me home an adorable kitten and we have only had him as our only pet, he is over a year old now and has been very kind and great with people, he gives us kisses and sleeps with us, he has more toys then most children.. but we both have busy schedules during the day so he...

Misbehaving dog [ 3 Answers ]

my border collie x is a bit naughty, at times he won't come to me ( when his playing or when his got something his not suppose to) his great with other dogs though a bit bossy at first & usually loves my 4 yr old sister but yesterday he snapped at her. I was wondering if anyone had ideas to get...

Fireplace thermostat misbehaving [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Heatilator gas fireplace wired to a thermostat. It used to work just fine. Now, if I turn up the 'stat, nothing happens. If I short out across the 'stat contacts, the fireplace comes on and stays on until the 'stat is satisfied. This process repeats itself next time the 'stat calls for...

Min Pin misbehaving [ 6 Answers ]

I have a two year old min pin who chews everything from shower curtains, rugs, pillows to chap stick. He only does this when left alone. I also have a 4 year old rottie lab who is his best friend. They play well together and are inseprable. Rottie... no problems. Min Pin... very destructive. ...

View more questions Search