Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dixitp Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 05:27 PM
    Statement for First Year Choice
    Hi Tax Experts,

I want to know if there is any particular format for preparing 'Statement for First Year Choice'?
    Is it a Form available on IRS website or is it something I will have to prepare on my own?

Looking forward to some help on this.

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2011, 10:51 PM

Read page 9 (Statement required to Make First Year Choice) of IRS Publication 519: Tax For Aliens.

Mar 10, 2011, 09:18 AM
    Comment on MukatA's post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    For some reason I couldn't open the Pub519 pdf,
    But from this link "http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch01.html#en_US_publink1000222177" I found following info.
    Statement required to make the first-year choice for 2009.
    The statement must contain your name and address and specify the following.
    That you are making the first-year choice for 2009.
    That you were not a resident in 2008.
    That you are a resident under the substantial presence test in 2010.
    The number of days of presence in the United States during 2010.
    The date or dates of your 31-day period of presence and the period of continuous presence in the United States during 2009.
    The date or dates of absence from the United States during 2009 that you are treating as days of presence.

My doubt is do I just put this on a white paper and attach with 1040ez or is there any form/format for this?

Thanks for the help.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 08:16 PM

Just put on a white paper and attach with 1040-EZ

Mar 10, 2011, 11:19 PM
    Comment on MukatA's post
    Thanks for the help..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First year choice, residents choice [ 5 Answers ]

I saw a similar question, but since my situation is a little different, I would like to be sure please. I was on H1-B from 2005 to February 2008. I then switched to F1 and was on F1 until end September 2009, when I went back to H1-B. Under substantial presence test, I was a resident for 2008...

First year choice statement and ITIN form [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have some questions about the tax return. 1. My husband is holding H1-B now, he changed his status in Oct 1st, 2008 from F1. I'm holding F1 visa now. 2008 is the first year we choose to file joint return as residence, do we need to attach first year choice statement? 2. We want to file...

What to write in the First Year Choice Statement [ 1 Answers ]

Dear tax experts, When filing jointly as residents is it enough to say in the statement that under First Year Choice we qualify to file as residents filing jointly and we both choose to file this way. Or we need to provide all the details including dates, types of visas, calculations of days...

First Year Choice statement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, In my earlier posting, you had advised that I wait till about June 2006 and then file as a resident using the First Year Choice( FYI- I changed to H1 status from F1 in Oct 2005) . How many days do I have to be in the US in 2006 to meet the substantial presence test? And...

View more questions Search