Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikb55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 05:13 PM
    American citizen visiting in canada married to a canadian
    I am a USA citizen. In Canada as a extended visitor until my immigration to Canada is complete with my wife a Canadian citizen. I have no income here in Canada. I do have a retirement pension from the USA and we have always filed "married filing jointly". Can I file the same from Canada?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2011, 01:56 PM
    You CAN file jointly on your U.S. return with your Canadian wife, but, by doing so, you make HER Canadian income earned in Calendar Year 2010 subject to U.S. income taxes.

She can claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (using Form 2555) and/or the Foreign Tax Credit (using Form 1116).

OR

She can claim the credit for the U.S. taxes paid on her Canadian return.

But NOT both.

If you need professional help filing your return, email me at [email protected] or [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married to Canadian, (he still lives in Canada), can I claim exemption? [ 8 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen married to a foreign national who lives in his native country (commuter marriage) and who has no income from U.S. sources. Can I claim an exemption for my spouse on my U.S. tax return? I presently file as Head of Household, as I have a qualifying child, but I am wondering if...

If I am an American citizen living in Canada with my Canadian spouse, how do I file? [ 6 Answers ]

I tried to do my taxes using turbotax's online program but I can't seem to answer the questions correctly regarding our status as living at a foreign address, etc. The program keeps asking for my husbands SS number which he obviously doesn't have. Do I need to file using a different form or...

Canadian citizen married to US citizen living in Canada, tax information [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and I have lived in Canada since August 2008. She has not filed US tax returns since 2008 and I would like to have them filed prior to our move to the US by late 2011. I am a little lost on which forms to use. Here is how our current income breaks down. Wife (USC) - 2008...

Us Citizen Living in Canada, Married to a Canadian. Am I Single? [ 1 Answers ]

Im a Us Citizen Living in Canada Married to a Canadian how do I file my US taxes, Can I File as Single and if so do I even have to file if my personal income is less than the minimums? I earned under $7k in 2008 and did not file and this year I'm about the same. I am aware of the Foreign income...

American Citizen married abroad with a Brazilian Citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first question, and I hope somebody can help me :-) I'm an american citizen and I got married in Brazil to a Brazilian citizen. She took a semester off from school (university) to stay here with me on a tourist visa. She is going back to Brazil now, to finish her degree (she...

View more questions Search