Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plymouth1967 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 02:37 PM
    I paid 10% penalty on myIRA,can I claim it on my tax return
    I cashed in my IRA in 2010 and paid the 10% penalty and 10% tax-Can I claim the penalty on my tax return-I received a 1099r for the total amount paid,it does not separate the penalty from the tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2011, 01:51 PM
    There is a good reason for that: the 10% penalty is a PUNITIVE tax meant to discourage early IRA withdrawals and is therefore IN NO WAY deductible.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 10:01 AM

To add a bit more info here - the 1099R that you received shows 20% withholding for income tax. It does NOT include the 10% early withdrawal penalty. You report the 10% penalty on line 58 of your form 1040 (“Additional tax on IRAs, other qualified retirement plans, etc.”), and you show the amount of tax withheld on line 61 (“Federal income tax withheld from Forms W-2 and 1099”).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax law - Inherited stock and sold it - how do you claim it on tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Father passed away on 9/30/2008 - Inherited Stock on 1/27 09 and sold it the same day - how is it reported on schedule D

How to claim German tax treaty for US tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a German national but have become resident in the US because of the substantial presence test. Still, I think I should be able to claim the tax treaty on my scholarship payments, since I am here for less than 2 years. (I collected presence days from an earlier stay). The taxes have been...

Tax paid on US income in India, can I claim refund in the US? [ 3 Answers ]

From January 07 through march 07, I paid US taxes. This income was also reported as "WORLDWIDE" income and corresponding taxed paid on my Indian tax returns. I have Indian TAX certificate for the tax paid in Indian Rupees on the US income. While filing my US tax returns, can I get exemption on...

Needed ira early tax penalty must be paid from ira too [ 2 Answers ]

:( Unfortunately My Retirement Was Placed In An Ira. Thought I Would Work Longer. Unemployed Only Money Is My Ira I Have Been Using It Now For Three Years To Live On And I'm Currently 58. Each Year I Owe Taxes On The Previous Year And Penalties, But My Only Money Is The Ira So I Must Take...

Penalty fee for filing tax return late [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been asked by the IRS to file tax return for the tax period 12-31-2005. By the time, I was an international student in the U.S. working as an independent contractor. I received the 1099 Misc Form from my former company showing the total amount of 18600 USD in box 7. Since I...

View more questions Search