Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brybearnwycub Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 09:12 PM
    My signature on letter he represent me as a death beneficiary
    I got a letter from a man postmarked from Spain. He wants me to act like the beneficiary to his dead client. So he will need me to write a letter of authorization and sign it. Then he can present me as the relative and get the money. Well he is not asking for anything else but this. He said he will provide all the documents to me once the signature is to him and he can get the ball rolling. The money will go to me and then he asks for half from me when I get it. Is this a scam and how could he use my signature to hurt me?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 09:22 PM

Very common scam, and makes you part of the crime

First you are going to do a letter and lie that you are a beneficiary, ( not that it really matters since there is no dead person and no real money)

They send a check, normally stolen or fraud from some real account. You deposit it in, your bank, and since it is a real check often just stolen or fraud ( they make fake check off someone's real account in many cases)

And then they want you to send by Western Union their share.

Then about 2 or 3 weeks later, the check comes back as bad, so you owe the bank the entire amount back,
    You already sent 1/2 and can not get it back,
    And the bank can press criminal charges ( esp if you don't pay all the money back)

The way it works, they find people so greedy they will not have a issue lying that they are a person who should get this money.
    brybearnwycub Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 09:32 PM
    I said up front I will never give them money or ss# or bank numbers. He is sympathetic to my charity causes. He wants my signature, can he get me in trouble and use it for something?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 09:39 PM

This is old scam...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Letter before death about property [ 1 Answers ]

How I come to known about the letter before death about property? Can my father make that? How?

Why would a painting have a signature and a letter/numbers below the paint edge? [ 1 Answers ]

Letters w/numbers below the paint line means?

Minor child beneficiary to military death gratuity [ 6 Answers ]

From Pennsylvania. My 8 yr old sons father was killed in action overseas. His father and I were never married. Due to his death my son becomes beneficiary to the military death gratuity. Two questions: In Pa can a parent (me)be named guardian under the Uniform Transfer to Minors Act? And in regard...

View more questions Search